Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On the market for a bicycle.

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

Default On the market for a bicycle.

Alright, it's time for me to up my exercise and start biking again. I've never really been into mountain bikes but I'm honestly not in the shape anymore to be riding 10-15 miles on a BMX bike anymore.

I found this bike and was wondering if anyone had any leads to where to find a nice comfortable ride for under 250 dollars. I'm not to sure if I want a full suspension bike... the last time I had one it seemed to absorb all the energy I put into the petals while standing up (the rear suspension that is).

I'm going for a mountain bike because I don't want to be limited but I will be mainly riding on road.

Thanks in advance.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Default Re: On the market for a bicycle.

Go to your local bike shop and test ride bikes, it's the only real way to get a feel if you'll like it or not.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

I wouldn't necessarily go for a brand new bike, and I'd steer clear of Wal-Mart if you're going to be doing some serious riding (both because of the lack of service and the overall lower product quality).

I agree with Omega. Stop by a mom-and-pop place or a small chain store and take a few different models for a spin. Or just keep an eye out for a good deal.

Suspension can help, but it can also hurt, as you know. Full-suspension bikes are comparatively inefficient, and a front shock is a waste of time on most roads, especially as it's your arse that gets sore over time and that's over the back wheel. A less-than-ideal front suspension setup isn't really an advantage at all - my second bike is the quintessential early-'90s halfway-decent Wal-Mart bike, a Huffy in decent shape with an acceptable, but largely useless, front spring. It's only useful, really, because the bike is made out of damn pig iron.

My Gary Fisher, on the other hand, is lighter (still a steel frame, though), hasn't any suspension at all, and does just fine on the gravel and broken pavement I usually ride on. If I'm expecting any giant bumps I just let a bit of air out of the tires. We got it used several years ago and I just can't hurt it, after easily a thousand miles of neglect: original chain, front tire, and cabling, in fact.

tl;dr: What Omega said. And if you're not going off of large rocks with it routinely, don't worry about suspension.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Another option that you could look into that can save $$, police auctions. I've got an older Bianchi mountain bike that was $60 with no wheels. At the same auction I got a crappy cruiser style bike that had good rims the right size and almost new for $20. For $80 it's a great bike. No suspension, but unless you actually ride off road a lot a sprung seat is better for comfort anyway. Just my two cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Please read the TOS regarding links in signatures. We don't take kindly to that sort of thing. -The Mods

I picked up a pretty much mint Trek 640 (Reynolds 531 frame) for 6.88 at my local thrift store.

All it needed was a set of brake pads and a tire.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

If it is a road bike, then see if you can find a Cannondale. They work if you can find a used one
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

I ride a Specialized, very nice. one thing to look into is rental sales (although they usually don't sell them until fall sometime) thats where I picked mine up, was a year old model got it for 250 I believe and it was at the time a $450 + bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

www.pinkbike.com

Huge classified section, and loads of great info on there.

If you go fully rigid, get a steel frame. Heavier than aluminum, yes, but it'll soak up quite alot and be relatively smooth. Aluminum is much stiffer, and tends to amplify every bump through the frame.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Front suspension is good if you have a heavier or MTB kind of bike.

Keeping your ass from getting sore is as simple as finding a seat that works well for you (a seat was the difference between me standing while riding all the time and being able to sit for 10+mi of riding).

Full suspension should only be considered if it's going to be a hardcore mountain rig. Full suspension on a daily rider/commute bike will only sap energy from your riding and add complexity.

I ride a 2007 Giant Rincon, and I think it's great. Hardtail / Front suspension, works well for road riding or mountain. Just don't sit when you do mountain (stand up, use your legs as the rear suspension).

Look on Craigslist for your area for decent bikes. If it won't see off-road use, I suggest getting a road bike like a 10 speed or something. they're almost always lighter, no suspension to sap energy from your pedaling, and one with the right gearing can actually get you moving pretty quickly (~25mph or so)

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"