Thread: Vandel resistent led ring switch 12v question

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Default Vandel resistent led ring switch 12v question

Hi all
    I found a cheaper source in uk they look just as good as delrin ones but it says they are made for 12v so my question is does anyone know if I could mod them to be good with 3.3v motherboard headers for the usual power switch/power led setup.

Here is the spec from the site, I already sent them a question a couple of days ago but they never got back to me, I figure one of you mod masters would know .
    -------
    16mm Push Button Switch with White LED Ring
    These push-buttons were especially designed and manufactured for 12V operation, therefore no additional resistor is needed. The push-buttons can easily be connected with crimp- or flat connectors with the desired cables. Of course simple soldering is an option as well. The 16mm strong thread can be perfectly fitted into e.g. a computer case. The included counter nut secures the push-button exactly in place and the also included O-ring seal protects the electronic components on the rear end. Therefore the button can also be used outdoors, as it is splash-proof!

Technical details:
    Material: Aluminum
    Voltage range: 12V AC/DC

Dimensions:
    • Top side: 19mm
    • Overlap height: 2mm
    • Thread diameter: 16mm
    • Thread length: 17mm
    • Overall length: 38mm

Lifespan of mechanical parts: 1 000 000 contacts
    Lifespan of electronic components: 50 000 h

Extent of delivery:
    1x Vandalism-proof push-button 16mm aluminum black, blue ring lighting
    Counternut
    O-ring seal

-------

My delrin ones are 3.4v so I know the delrin ones are fine for motherboard headers, but I always seem to have trouble sourcing the colours I want from uk, I could order pre wired ones from usa but it would be $95 £58 with the cheapest trackable shipping for just for 2 so thats not really an option as I could buy 8 from the above site for the same price not wired of course lol.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default Re: Vandel resistent led ring switch 12v question

I'm sure the switch will work just fine on the motherboard headers, it's just a momentary switch, it won't have any idea how much voltage you're putting through it until you get WAY up there. Pretty sure the 12v they mention is for the LED. They've no doubt got a resistor built into the switch to drop the voltage before it hits the LED itself. I installed one of these on a build once, and I wanted the ring to be on all the time so I wired it directly to a "wall wart" from some piece of electronics that I had lost at one time, plugged it straight into the wall and it put out 12 volts.

I guess to help you we need to know when you want the ring on this switch to be lit? Constantly or only when the power to the machine is actually on?
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Thanks for replying blue .
    only when the power to the machine is actually on
    Want to buy 2, 1 for power switch and power led / the other for reset switch and hdd activity.

Still waiting for the delivery date for my aluminium ordered last wednesday morning, they said should be early next week so I expect for tommorow or wednesday itching to get started, revved and ready to go hehe.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

I honestly don't know to make that work, you'll either have to find a way to step the voltage out of the motherboard up to 12 (some of our electronics gurus could help you there, but I don't think it would be a simple fix) or get the resistor out of the switch so it doesn't step the voltage down. Really a hard call, not knowing what kind of LED they have in there. Honestly, if it were me I would look for a different switch that will handle the lesser voltage out of the box, but if you REALLY like this one, it can be done.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Thanks for a speedy informative reply blue.
    I'll probably look for a different one then, it was the price I liked mostly .