Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linux Mint 7, Mmm, this is good!

Default Re: Linux Mint 7, Mmm, this is good!

Can anyone tell me if HD4870x2 cards work in Mint 7 with 9.6?
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Quote Originally Posted by Kayin View Post
    Can anyone tell me if HD4870x2 cards work in Mint 7 with 9.6?
    I would ask in the forum, if anyone has tried they will usually post if they had any issues and if they found a fix.
    http://forums.linuxmint.com/

I just replaced my uncooperative Windows Vista install with Mint 7 after a very positive live disk session. I am very impressed. This originally was built as a gaming computer however now is my media machine. I thought I was having issues with my onboard SATA controller however it was a windows issue. Linux Mint recognizes all my HDs all the time, no problems whatsoever. Also I have not had to install any codec and all my media plays out of the box. The install was significantly better than windows install. No hunting down drivers and install disks to gain functionality for the machine. the only issues I have had is my printer has no Linux drivers, and I cannot get my 5.1 sound to work.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Yup, I'm a convert. Was on the fence about it for some time. After reading everybodys coments about it this seemed like the right version to start with. Just installed it this morning after XP getting so screwed up it needed to be re-installed after the last updates and IE explorer upgrade. Was gonna try to install it as a dual boot and work thru windows issues later but it wouldn't let me so bye bye microsoft. Now I've just been playing around trying to see how much I can do at once before it has a problem. So far the only way Ive even slowed it down was having 2 web browsers running both with multiple active tabs, and that really didn't have a huge effect. Since I use my computer mainly for internet access and as a media player I don't really anticipate running into many issues as far as software is concerned. Didn't take me long to get the few programs that get used regularly reinstalled, took much longer to get all my media files restored. So far very happy with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

has any one tried this on there gaming rig? i hate windows and dont want to pay 200+ dallors for windows seven.(which i ran the free trial on my new hd and went to turn it on one day and was completely corrupted couldn't even save anything off the hard drive). my main problem is i have zero experience with linux would i be getting in over my head if i tried this?

Partylikearockstar is a pretty big Linux Gamer.. he could tell you more.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

just installed this on two free p3 1ghz laptops my sis scored from her school district she works for, and all I have to say, is dayum... runs much faster than the xp that would have been on it had the school district not wiped the hdds! I love this OS!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

I'm quite pleased with it on my backup machine as well. It's at least as quick as XP, and it just worked right out of the box. I've been trying to trick it, but the only trouble I've had has been getting Audacious to work right with the media buttons on my keyboard (the other players listen just fine). Honestly, I think 75% of users could switch tomorrow and be just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...