Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OTC Painkiller Overdose Range?

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default OTC Painkiller Overdose Range?

What do you take and how much? I just had an interesting argument that if you take around 1200mg of Tylenol you'll overdose or "bad things" will happen. Yet many of the people I know have said that they take around a 1000mg.

Also, does it matter how many you take? or does only the "mg" matter? Like, would one 700mg be any different than two 400mg, aside from the difference in mg? I guess I'm kind of under the impression that only the "mg" you take matters, not how many pills. Which makes sense in my head because if the pill count mattered more then why do they list it in "mg" format?

Anyways, just curious I guess. I just doubt that taking around a 1000mg is anywhere near overdosing. When I was a younger I would take two 700mg and nothing "bad" ever happened.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Default Re: OTC Painkiller Overdose Range?

One thing about medications, the directions are there for a reason, whether it be for health or legal reasons. Also more is not always more. I have heard in some cases too much can actually diminish the effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    ...if you take around 1200mg of Tylenol you'll overdose or "bad things" will happen.
    It might not be an immediate issue, but certain certain medications can accumulate in organs over time. They can cause stress on things such as your liver that might not manifest a problem till sometime down the road.

Also, does it matter how many you take? or does only the "mg" matter? Like, would one 700mg be any different than two 400mg, aside from the difference in mg? I guess I'm kind of under the impression that only the "mg" you take matters, not how many pills. Which makes sense in my head because if the pill count mattered more then why do they list it in "mg" format?
    Its all about the mg. They make tables, capsules, etc in different mg's so that its easier to get the correct dosages. Otherwise you would need to split a tablet if it were too many mgs.

Anyways, just curious I guess. I just doubt that taking around a 1000mg is anywhere near overdosing. When I was a younger I would take two 700mg and nothing "bad" ever happened.
    yet... but that doesn't mean it couldn't be extremely bad for someone else.

For some reason this reminds me a little bit of this thread....

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ad.php?t=19388

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

There was a thing about it not too long ago. Taking too much kills your liver. Taking a 2x dosage for two days, I think, was enough to cause liver damage.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

I go by what it says on the label, inless otherwise suggested or prescribed
    by a healthcare professional. Currently on a multi-vitamin regimen I have chosen for myself.
    If you feel the need to take more than directed you should probably see a doctor.

Take too much Tylenol, you spit up blood.

Did it by accident while EXTREMELY sick once, had to go to hospital. No fun at all.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

I take in the 1000-1500mg range of tylenol, bayer, and such. I'm 6' 3" @ 230ush lbs. Seems to do the trick for my headaches most of the time.

-CollinstheClown

I'm supposed to be taking 2x 800mg Ibuprofen 4x a day, along with 2x 350mg Percocet 4-6x a day, and some other pain med 3-4x a day for my chest.

BUT... I don't. I don't touch any of it. I just deal. I don't like meds, and the thought of popping those for 2 years straight made me drop them right when I was out of the hospital.

I'm lucky if I touch one of those Ibuprofen's every week. Bar comes out in 1 month so I made it thus far, sucked like hell and/or monkey balls, but I did it.

Edit: Just take what it's labeled as. But as you can see, I'm not one for condoning meds, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

pill count doesn't matter, it's the same dosage just in different increments.

Edited out because I didn't want to give readers any bad ideas or inaccurate/misleading information.

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzKillington View Post
    pill count doesn't matter, it's the same dosage just in different increments.

The recommended dosage is nowhere near the lethal dosage. I've never heard of more diminishing effects but typically more doesn't mean it's going to do a better job. Even with extreme painkillers like norcos, Oxycontin, vicodin, you wouldn't OD if you took 2,3 or 4x the recommended dosage... it also depends on your weight.

Tylenol I would imagine would have zero side effects up to or beyond 3000mgs although would be stupid and is why they up the prices on OTC drugs and make them illegal for kids to buy. I remember not being of age to purchase cough syrup so I had to get my mom to buy it for me... lol
    Yea cough syrup contains DXM or Dextromethorphan a hallucinogen thats actually quite effective in adolesents. thats why its illegal for kids to purchase it.

3000mg of tylenol would bust a cap in your ass. it's called a Paracetamol overdose or a Acetaminophen overdose. tweakers can get it.

3000mg in a 180 pound man of average height would put him in a coma in about 6 hours without immediate medical treatment. He'd probably die from liver failure soon after. before that he would develop Severe abdominal pain and Diarrhea probably in combo with convulsions if he hadn't eaten anything or injested any bases like milk. if he'd been drinking acids like soda or orange juice the effects might be more severe and immediate.

anyways. Paracetamol overdose isn't a immediate thing. In can take upwards of half a day to start to get the symptoms. and often at that point its to late and your already flooding your organs with the crap. once its in the circulatory system it's hard to get out.

By all means go take three grams of tylenol and tell us what happens. but don't blame me when your in the hospital getting your guts pumped out.

If you think im bull ****ting you then call

1-800-222-1222

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NightrainSrt4 View Post
    Edit: Just take what it's labeled as. But as you can see, I'm not one for condoning meds, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
    Pain killers are a different thing from maintenance meds. Pain killers, you're probably better off without, as long as the pain isn't too much. Maintenance meds can be necessary.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.