Thread: side panel window mod... need help!

Default side panel window mod... need help!

Hi,

This is my first time doing my own window mod and I just have a quick question before I jump right into it.

I am trying to figure out a way to attach the window to the inside of the panel. Ive seen those window kits with the ugly, thick molding... not a fan of that style at all. Here is what I have done so far.

-i measured and marked the back of the panel where im going to make my hole for the window.

-i got a clear acrylic panel with ventilation holes from my local glass shop cut to size (1 inch bigger then the hole on each side).

-I picked up a very thin rubber/plastic molding strip to put around the edge of the hole once its cut and sanded (altho I may end up just diching the molding and repaint that panel)

As i was saying.. im trying to figure out a way to attach the window to the panel. I know I could just drill some holes and bolt it on, but I dont know if I want to do that. I was thinking about using some type of adhesive to avoid drilling holes. Im pretty sure super glue would hold it in place, but im concerned that the heat inside the case may cause the glue to give off fumes which at the least would be an annoyance, and at the worst maybe cause some damage to the hardware.

Is super glue safe to use? Will it give off any fumes when its inside the case or cause any potential damage to the hardware?

Is there a better type of adhesive I should use, or should I just go with the bolts?

thanks so much.

-Dan

Default Re: side panel window mod... need help!

I would use either silicone adhesive or a construction adhesive such. Hot glue wuold also work.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

use heavy duty industrial tape

I think that silicone adhesive is the best bet. Superglue works best when the two surfaces are in full contact, and I doubt that you can get a small enough gap. Also, it's a bit brittle, which is bad for window-type applications.

Overclocked

Id recomend repaintin the whole case because its easyer