Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grinder accident

Welder Of Aluminum bartvandenberg's Avatar

Default Grinder accident

well, i just had a decent work accident, and thought i would post it on here, since a grinder is also a modders tool.

So while cutting a paddle chain link at work with a 5" grinder, I thought it would be fun to gouge it into my hand. well, turns out a grinder and skin dont make a good match. Cut my thumb tendon, and 12 exterior stitches, and 6 interior stitches later, fixed up. So, not ive got 6 weeks of recovery time, and physiotherapy afterwards. plus, i get to wear this 'awesome' half formed cast. Even though its my left hand, it makes life miserable.

Try to put on pants with one hand. it sucks.

So, next time you use a grinder, no matter how many 'safety' rules you think you are following, always....always hold it with 2 hands. If you cant cut something without having to hold it too, get a friend.

attached a couple pics since this thread would be worthless without them.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default Re: Grinder accident

Holy ****!! Dude that makes my hand hurt just looking at it!

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.
    Last edited by blueonblack; 06-13-2009 at 10:02 PM.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blueonblack View Post
    Holy ****!! Dude that makes my handhurt just looking at it!

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.
    +1
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Holy balls that looks painful!
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

OW OW OW OW OW OW!!!! Glad to hear you're gonna be ok though.

not too gross anyone out, but it bled like they do in the movies. Insantly my hand was drenched before i realized what i had done. Too bad i didnt get any pics of it right away.

funny thing is, my first thought was "damn, my wifes gonna kill me"

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

How the heck did you get the two on your wrist?

That is just insane man... Did you feel it or was it instant shock from it happening so fast?

I wish you a full recovery.

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bartvandenberg View Post
    funny thing is, my first thought was "damn, my wifes gonna kill me"
    weird, same thing goes through my mind when I do something that could be classified by the wife as boneheaded. Here's to a speedy recovery.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

the 2 on my wrist are to get the tendon back. when its cut, it shoots back up your wrist since it always on tension, like an elastic band. so.. they cut back up there, and 'feed' it back through.

I definitely felt it right away. Didnt look at it though since all i saw was red right away. didnt dare look, since i had a cutoff disk in the grinder, and had no idea how bad it was. My supervisor (whos also the first aid guy) assured me that 'from his point of view, it looks pretty cool' so i wasnt too worried about it.

the worst pain was getting the initial stitches, since the anesthetic they used had worn off, so i could feel all of it. They spend so long digging around in it to get all the grease and oil out that it wore off by the time they were done, but i didnt realize it till they started stitching it back up, and by then, i just wanted it done so i could go home. They just stitched it temporarily the first time, since i had to wait a couple days for a hand surgeon to reattach the tendon.

good old canadian health care. its free yes, but damn, waiting for 3 hours, 2 hospitals, and then 4 days for a hand surgeon sure blows.

and so far so good guys. i still cant move my thumb at all, but im thinking thats the stitches holding it back. (at least im hoping)

worst part is, its hard to hold your 7 month old kid when you got this stupid plastic thing on your arm.

Wow, hope it heals quickly and properly. That could have been really horrible.

Two years ago my fiance's brother was at work dicking around and they decided to build a huge air cannon. Somehow he ended up shooting a nail or something into his eyeball. Luckily his glasses helped so it didn't go through the back of the eye, but he couldn't see a thing until it healed. He was lucky that he isn't blind now, and that his body healed his eye as well as it did.

Here's to hoping you recover as well as he did; good as new.