Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom Shaped mouse. Advice?

Noobsauce

Default Custom Shaped mouse. Advice?

Ok, guys and girls. I have a project I want to undertake. My partner here has a real problem with, well, every single mouse on the market. They're either too long, have too big of a palm hold, or some other distint problem. My thought here, is that if I could get him to find a mouse he feels comfortable with, aside from the shape, I could cut out the back part and mod it to something that feels comfortable. It's a physical problem for him, since he uses the mouse for work, photoshopping and all. Anyone have suggestions on tools or materials that would make this easiest? I'm thinking, for example, to take a microsoft intellimouse and dremel out the back white part of the top, but leave the frame in tact, and just re-shape it with bondo or something.
    We're never prepared for what we expect.

Default Re: Custom Shaped mouse. Advice?

You could probably use foam and bondo. I've never actually tried it though.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Well, you could always cover a small mouse in earthenware clay and have him "squeeze" it to make it sort of contour naturally to his hand, then glaze it and fire it up in a kiln. :p
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Maybe look up the Evercoat product line? They make this stuff called Kitty Hair that might do the trick. The problem with Bondo is that it really isn't meant to be built up.

Like Zephik said. You can use something to mold the shape. I remember a guy who made a paintball pump handle that molded to the shape of his hand (A clone of a rare pump handle called a "Battle Pump."). He used this stuff called Apoxie Sculpt that worked very well. He just said use gloves when working with it.
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Noobsauce

I gave some thought to the clay idea, the problem is the weight, and the ability to stick it to the mouse framework. I'm trying to avoid having to design something from the ground up. thanks for the tips, keep them coming!
    We're never prepared for what we expect.

maybe find some kind of a rubber or a latex that you can pour into a mold? like ballistics gel? (that would be kinda cool actually :p )
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

An easy way would be to do the ole melt ABS plastic with Acetone trick. That is a huge general description, but if you are interested I will post the overview of the method and probably make it into a guide.

The basic idea is that it turns it all into a putty that you can use as a mold. You would place the putty over a basic mouse and have him press his hand into the shape he wants. Then you have a choice of letting the putty harden onto the mouse and sanding it and bondoing it out, or using the putty to make a mold and do other things with it.

I used this putty method a few weeks ago on my motorcycle to mold a fairing replacement piece for a buddy of mine and it worked perfect. I'm sure it could be applied to the mouse.

Here is the really easy putty stuff to use: http://www.amazingmoldputty.com/
    Last edited by Datech; 06-19-2009 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Found the site
    I would really like my Thermaltake prizes... Thanks everyone for my wonderful prizes!

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

That's different. I've never heard of someone having a problem fitting a mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Datech View Post
    The basic idea is that it turns it all into a putty that you can use as a mold. You would place the putty over a basic mouse and have him press his hand into the shape he wants. Then you have a choice of letting the putty harden onto the mouse and sanding it and bondoing it out, or using the putty to make a mold and do other things with it.

Here is the really easy putty stuff to use: http://www.amazingmoldputty.com/
    Good Info. +Rep

My hand is as wide as a laptop keyboard, nearly. I have issues with mice too.

Nice ideas, I may have to incorporate something into the peripherals for my project...
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08