Thread: ES CPU's

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

Default ES CPU's

I woulda swore I started a thread already but I looked up and down and couldn't find it.

Anyway, I'm trying to find some information on engineering sample chips. I remember reading somewhere that a certain code means they can or can't detect temperature so you're not able to check cpu temps in bios or through any programs. I googled for a while and couldn't find much info on this.

Also, I'm curious as to how people are getting their hands on them. Do they work for intel or something? How are they showing up on eBay? Is it a "friends in high places" situation?

Default Re: ES CPU's

ES CPUs showing up on Ebay are usually chips that the Chinese and Taiwanese motherboard makers received for testing motherboards. Employees take them from work and sell them on the grey/black market. Depending on stepping, they'll likely perform just like the normal, OEM/Retail versions. Technically, these CPUs are still the property of Intel and are not supposed to be sold to third parties.

All in all, unless the ES is an unreleased processor (e.g. a Core i5 at the moment), then it is not worth the risk (some of the Ebay auctions are traps set by Intel, and many of the others are watched closely by Intel) and money to get an ES version.
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

I have 2 Xeon 5420 Engineering Samples right in front of me. I got them from Super Micro. Not intentionally, they were installed on a motherboard we ordered from them...

We have in the past requested engineering samples from Intel and got them with no strings attached, except that they can not be resold. Intel routinely scours ebay looking for these samples and then they go after the seller (at least that is what they told us...).

In most cases you have to be a VAR or engineering partner to get on the list.

Check this out;

http://www.intel.com/support/process.../CS-030121.htm
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

Thanks for the info guys. That's actually the same link I got from Intel this morning.

Good to know that ES chips are risky business.