Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: -= For Noobs =- (self proclaimed or otherwise)

Overclocked

Default -= For Noobs =- (self proclaimed or otherwise)

At the expense of getting my sorry butt banned, I'm writing this little tidbit to bring all the new people to modding up to speed. There are things others can help you with and things only you can do for yourself.

Let's talk about your first mod here. I have seen countless posts all over modding forums (not just this one) where new users ask for help with ideas for their first mod. I'm going to break down your first mod for all of you, so you don't need to post 'help me with ideas.'

How to Start a Computer Mod
    Before you rip that case apart there are things you need to know.

1. Your casemod needs a theme. All case mods have them. You can argue this point until you are blue in the face, so don't bother. How do you choose a theme? That's both easy and difficult - a real paradox. Your theme can be colour based (green and purple, or cool colours, or hot colours, or no colours.), based on a movie genre (horror, sci-fi, western, action, etc.), shape based, based on your favorite band, or television show. You can decide to theme it based on the surroundings (i.e., Make it part of the computer desk, or integrate your box and monitor, or anything else you can think of. This one point is the basis for all modding.
    2. You need tools to do the job. Chances are, most of you living in the free world, who have graduated high school have taken at least one shop class. This class would have familiarized you with some basic tools. If not, there is very little I or any other modder can do for you except recommend a community college to take a course on shop tools. Below, at the end of this post, you will find a list of the more basic tools you will need to do most modding.
    3. You need a space to do your work. Like a painter needs an easel to paint on, you need a place to do your masterpiece. The size of the space matters only in that you will need space to move and to spread out your project. You will need space to house your tools, and if you're like me, you'll need space to hold all the excess components you've amassed over the years.
      Get a workbench. Don't break the bank, but don't cheap out either. For most modding, a workmate portable bench will suffice, but sometimes that just doesn't cut it. Only you will know what size bench you need.
    4. You need time to commit to the project. This will involve construction, but it also includes research time. Not everyone knows how to solder up LEDs properly, and without proper research, your LEDs will fry and you will be most upset that all your hard work went out the window. Do your research. Though the net is a great resource, remember one thing, most of the sites out there that provide free information are created by people who aren['t paid to provide accurate information. The library, however, contains a resource some of the younger audience may not be familiar with - books. Books are printed to be sold. The information in resource material has been verified by people paid by the publishing houses to ensure validity. Textbooks like highschool electronics are very accurate resources.
    5. Patience is required. If it feels rushed, you aren't doing it right. Above all else, you've taken on this project as an outlet of entertainment or recreation. When you're on vacation you go to relax. Think of each modding session as a mini-vacation from the outside world. Enjoy each cut, each connection, each pass with the spray can. If you can't enjoy it, don't do it.
    6. Log everything. Keep a notepad and pen at arms length. When you cut out the rivets holding in the drive cage, write it down. This log will be your roadmap. If you need to refer back to how you did something, you'll be glad if you made notes.
    7. Safety first. Always wear your safety goggles. I tell people I'd rather look like a nerd in my garage when I'm modding, than a freak when I leave the house. Unplug your tools when you're done. Don't run with scissors, and look both ways before crossing the road.

That covers the basics. Feel free to ask me to clarify, and I gladly will.

Now, as promised the list of tools and such you should not be without.
    • A good Mallet
    • A vise
    • Assorted screwdrivers
    • Drill
    • Assorted Drill bits for metal and wood/plastic
    • Jigsaw
    • Safety glasses or full face shield
    • Rotary cutting tool (Dremel)
    • Torx set
    • Assorted clamps
    • Random orbital sander
    • soldering iron/gun
    • File set for metal
    • grinder
    • drillpress (not entirely necessary)
    • tap and die set

Happy modding.
    Last edited by fishies; 04-04-2005 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Typo
    -=-=-=-=-
    When computers collide, Bob is born
    And remember, boys and girls, it's better to say nothing, if that's what you know.

Im gonna go ahead and seriously disagree with rule #1 because most works of art are not planned or thought out in advance. You dont have to have the finished project invisioned in your head. So no theme is required, will it be a good idea and will it be easier? Yes. but its not neccessary. Art can also be sculpted and it can take shape during the modding process. I have had finished thoughts in my head and halfway through saw something else and completely did a 180 on it. As for tools more than half of those are also not neccessary. fishies, thanx however for taking your time in writing that post, I may or may not edit it in the future. Im still thinking about it. But thank you for your time and thought.

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by ZeD
    Im gonna go ahead and seriously disagree with rule #1 because most works of art are not planned or thought out in advance. You dont have to have the finished project invisioned in your head. So no theme is required, will it be a good idea and will it be easier? Yes. but its not neccessary. Art can also be sculpted and it can take shape during the modding process. I have had finished thoughts in my head and halfway through saw something else and completely did a 180 on it. As for tools more than half of those are also not neccessary. fishies, thanx however for taking your time in writing that post, I may or may not edit it in the future. Im still thinking about it. But thank you for your time and thought.
    You're kidding, right? Show me any case, modded or otherwise, and I'll tell you its theme. Any respectible artist never just starts a piece of art without some sort of plan. If that's what you do, good for you, however, all these new people wanting help with their first modding by asking what they should do are much better off thinking out their project, rather than just cut here, paint there. With a theme, they have a roadmap, and will find the entire experience much easier and enjoyable. If you actually read the post, rather than skimming it, nowhere did I say that changes couldn't be made. Doing a 180 on a roject is par for the course sometimes. Sometimes, a fan won't fit where you want it, or the aint didn't dry like you imagined, so sometimes you need to revise your plan.

Modding a computer is like building a house. Do you see contractors going in with no blueprint and just putting up walls and windows and doors? Imagine the result. Maybe you want to live in that house, but not me.

Don't be concerned about editing my work. You don't need to, nor should you, as the information I have provided is accurate for any and all modders. Disagree if you want, and maybe we should have a vote, but arbitrarily editing someone's post is ignorant at the very least. It's like me coming to your house, crapping on your bed and telling you it's chocolate.
    -=-=-=-=-
    And remember, boys and girls, it's better to say nothing, if that's what you know.

I think both of you need to put down the dremel...

Zod - I dont think fishies means plan out the entire case before you start. You use works of art as an example for why it is ok to just start working. Think of it this way, a mod is normally more like a series of art works. True you can start the first peice without any direction, but in order to make a statement, the rest would need to be based on the first. Honestly, I think Fishies has the right idea. I dont think any of us think you have to have the finished product designed before you start, but as fishies said, it is a good idea to at least know what direction you want to go.

Now as far as the tools listed .. I agree that some of those are not really needed. I mean, do you really need a tap and die if you are not going to tap anything (most new people dont).

Also, I think #7 should be #1 and #8... Safety cannot be stressed enough.

Anyway ... Good job Fishies ... Remember that there will always be people who want to add/change/remove something about whatever type of guide someone writes. I cannot count how many dremel cutting guides are out there that I think are wrong and I know some people dont agree with mine

Overclocked

Jesder,

Couldn't agree more with your first part. I've worked on other projects, where everything is planned out, and some idea of a finished product is in my head. Half way through the project, I realize something won't work, r better still, smething else will work better, but some modification of the plan needed to change drastically.

Without even an idea of what you're out to make, how do you know what to do? Do you need to cut holes? If so, what size/shape will they be?

Safety should be first.

That is a very general list, meant to be taken and fit to the new user's needs. Trust me though, when you strip the threads in your case, and need new threads, you'll be cursing this day, and your post.

Quote Originally Posted by JesDer
    Remember that there will always be people who want to add/change/remove something about whatever type of guide someone writes.
    Wanting to edit, and saying it will be edited are two different things. I'm not getting into this though, as I really wasn't looking for a fight. I see points that need editing, and suggesting sme points, as you did will most likely edit some points, and clarify a few others. I'll most likely add a list of common consumable materials used (at least by myself) when doing a project.
    -=-=-=-=-

Quote Originally Posted by fishies
    I'll most likely add a list of common consumable materials used (at least by myself) when doing a project.
    That is the thing about modding .. There is no right/wrong way to do things. If it works then do it. I find that the largest destroyer of creativity is getting hung up on one thing. It could be an idea, a process, or even materials. This is one reason I like Crimson's work as much as I do. He gets me thinking about new materials and methods to try using for modding. Now all I need to do is get the time to start working on mods!

Most modders who have taken the time to read some of the posts I have made over the years know I have my own views about how modding should be. At the same time I try to remember that my views are not for everyone. You seem to understand this as well.

--- Edit ---

Shouldn't this be under tips and tricks ?
    Last edited by JesDer; 04-04-2005 at 01:32 PM.

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by JesDer
    Most modders who have taken the time to read some of the posts I have made over the years know I have my own views about how modding should be. At the same time I try to remember that my views are not for everyone. You seem to understand this as well.
    I take criticism well, if the point made is clearly defended. I can admit when I'm wrong (though we all know I never am.) if you can prove how I'm wrong.

Its the other B.S. I can't stomach, and I'll call the person on it everytime. That's who I am, and tough darts if you don't like it.
    -=-=-=-=-

Overclocked

--- Edit ---

Shouldn't this be under tips and tricks ?
    Well it started as a "what not to ask about in the Forums" as reading "help me with my first mod" gets old real fast. I don't mind helping, but people need to think for themselves.
    -=-=-=-=-

Quote Originally Posted by fishies
    Modding a computer is like building a house. Do you see contractors going in with no blueprint and just putting up walls and windows and doors? Imagine the result. Maybe you want to live in that house, but not me.
    Modding a computer is like decorating an already completed house. Sometimes you think you want a color but once you start painting you realize wow this looked alot better on that little card in the store than on my wall. Or after you hang a photo on the wall you realize this picture my 4 year old drew would be much better in the garage than in my living room. Im not trying to be a dick about it. Everyone has their own ideas and ways they work but expressly telling someone what they should do is not right even if thats the way you work, I never said having a theme was wrong, I just said its not a neccessity it is nice to have a theme known before going it but it is not part of a "guide" thats like saying if your going to build a house you must use bricks and you cannot use stucko or stone, limiting a noobs options by telling them what to do is simply not the right thing to do. I did read your post more than once before replying, I did not skim through it.

And yes Jesder moving this to tips and tricks might be a good idea, let's see what fishies thinks

PS fishies my edit would not have been bad I would have only changed your first sentence from "your case mod needs a theme" to "you should have some plans as to what you would like before going in blindly" or something along those lines. Please don't take what I say harshly, Im blunt and to the point, thats just me.
    Last edited by ZeD; 04-04-2005 at 02:17 PM.

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by ZeD
    PS fishies my edit would not have been bad I would have only changed your first sentence from "your case mod needs a theme" to "you should have some plans as to what you would like before going in blindly" or something along those lines. Please don't take what I say harshly, Im blunt and to the point, thats just me.
    Changing anything because you want to is ignorant. Offering suggestions is the civil way to do things. I am a reasonable person, but when someone says things like that, it really strikes a nerve, and that's me.

Seeing as how both my wife and I graduated with honours for fine art, I think I know what I'm talking about here, not that you'd know that without asking, or me giving the information.

I do copy edit for government documents all day, which is a far cry frm what I went to school for, and I can tell you in any professional operation with document handling, changes aren't done because you want to change it. Most content changes go for review before any document is modified.

None of this, however, directly relates to the first post. Don't go changing my posts and I won't cra on your bed and tell you it's chocolate.
    -=-=-=-=-