Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N00b extremely to modding and appreciate any tips and advice

Fresh Paint

Default N00b extremely to modding and appreciate any tips and advice

Basically im here because i received a xbox 360 for free because it had overheated and has the red ring of death. it is one of the original no hdmi port, production date on the metal bottom case where the mobo sits is 10/02/06... What id like to do is cut a design out on the case, back it with some sort of plexiglass, illuminate it and the innards, add a couple extra fans, and lastly give it a nice paint job.

Ive already looked up and am almost done fixing the rrod, if the fix doesnt work im probably gonna scrap the idea of modding it, iono... kinda waitin on that. Im following Team HYBRID's Ultimate X-Clamp Fix, if i theres a better guide, please let me know but i researched the topic of fixing the rrod for about a week before i even started to take the 360 apart.

Im new to the whole case modding thing, id like a nice sized biohazard symbol cut out of the case and red leds inside, i plan on getting the red led fans and somewhere on here i saw someone set up leds on the plexiglass window for an etch and it looked really good, kinda interested in that as well. dont wanna over do it with too much led light though. Ive got most of the necessary tools for doing this to the case, i think... The main thing im not sure of is how to mount the plexiglass to the case.

Last but not least, id like to have a nice red and or black metallic paint job with a nice finish.

I look forward to the help, tips, and ideas along the way... And will start a worklog soon, kinda hard as i dont have a camera but i might be able to borrow one...

Default Re: N00b extremely to modding and appreciate any tips and advice

i say go water that will stop overheating.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=603660
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Fresh Paint

yea thats what ive heard, im kinda on a tight budget and that can be a lil expensive plus i havent looked into the down sides, i mean what if a line breaks or the radiator leaks and frys your system?

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SLATER87 View Post
    yea thats what ive heard, im kinda on a tight budget and that can be a lil expensive plus i havent looked into the down sides, i mean what if a line breaks or the radiator leaks and frys your system?
    That's why you use a non-conductive liquid
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Fresh Paint

oh okay, any tips on cutting the case and securing the plexi or adding led's to illuminate the plexiglass if there was an etch one it?

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

As for attaching the plexi I would go with the 'adhesive tape of the gods'.

I think a metallic black case with red lights in the window would look sick.

If the the plexi is etched then all you have to do is put LEDs on the edge of the plexi, 4-5 on the left and right sides should do it. The light will travel through the clear parts and break when it hits the etch which will cause the etch to glow while the rest stays clear.

Quick question though.. was the Xbox ever opened before you got it?

-CollinstheClown

Fresh Paint

no the xbox was sealed with the warranty sticker... but its way out of warranty so i decided to bust it open and fix away, i am gettin holes drilled for the x clamps today at work then ill probably apply the as5 tomorrow or the day after when i get some time

thank you for the plexi tips, ive seen videos of the tape of the gods and plan on using that.

Ahh so many people do this. If it has the RROD or E74 error MS will fix it for free up to 3 years after purchase date. Since your wasn't even made 3 years ago you could've done that.

-CollinstheClown

Fresh Paint

true, true... even though im not the original owner? i couldve just sent it in and they wouldve fixed it? iono, i shouldve done that probably anyways, i wouldve torn it apart and done stuff to the case either way... if i cant fix the rrod, ill probably donate it to someone who wants it here or just ebay it for like $10... ill find out within the next week

Yeah they don't ask for proof of purchase.

Oh well, you might be able to get it reflowed for cheap if you wanna save some cash buying a new one.

-CollinstheClown