Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Psu

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

Default Psu

hey guys gunna buy a new psu as i have found this is the fault in my pc...

whats the best psu from this list..

page two.. right hand side bout half way down..

http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

please help..

over 800W would be nice

cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

Default Re: Psu

in that list i would get the antec one or thermaltake.

any list, i would get a corsair or enermax one.

there are a few others i would get but forget the names.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

My general guide: Antec and Corsair yes! Rosewill no!

What do you need over 800W for?
    I would really like my Thermaltake prizes... Thanks everyone for my wonderful prizes!

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Off that list, I'd say Antec or Seasonic (IIRC Seasonic makes Antec PSU's, among other). I've been burned twice by Thermaltake, so I can't recommend them. I'm also curious why you need 800W+. My new system is gonna be running on just a 550W, and a system I built at work with dual Shanghai Opterons, 32GB of RAM and 6 SATA HDDs, only pulls about 400W under a fairly heavy load (it has a 850W PSU though, don't worry )

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

I have a rosewill, and it's been fine. My load is WAAAAAAAAYYYYY less than it's rated for, though. OCZ/s RMA is pretty good; they will normally give you a better PSU than the one you had that failed (US, at least; just send it there if you have to RMA). I just sent some value RAM back to them; will make a new thread when I get the new stuff.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

In contrast to nevermind, I've owned three separate models of Rosewill PSU's, had two close friends with a combination of Rosewill keyboards, mice, and webcams, and knew a guy with some speakers and a KVM.

When I got my first Rosewill PSU, it was already two years old in 2006, so I didn't think much of it when it up and died on day. The second Rosewill PSU was also received in used condition, but only some months old by 2007. I thought it a fluke as well when it died, but I was curious and opened it up and to my horror about every single plastic piece had melted even though the fan had always worked fine.

My biggest problem came recently when I purchased a Rosewill RX750-D-B 750W. Two fans, blue LEDs, shiny case, lots of power. I purchased it in November of 08, and it quite literally blew up at the end of December. I am not exaggerating when I say sparks shot out the back of my case, you could clearly tell something was arcing, and the noise was so loud everyone's ears were ringing. My mother and girlfriend were witness to this as well as me screaming and jumping back like a little girl. RMA through Newegg went fine, got another one, same model, shortly thereafter. About 1.5 months later (just out of cash refund warranty timeframe) it did the exact same thing. I promptly sent off a Nastygram to Rosewill saying I was afraid for my life whilst using their products, and they promptly convinced Newegg to issue me a refund. I now love my 650W Antec that has been running fine since March.

That, coupled with the fact that all the other products I mentioned above were described to me as, "Complete crap" has made me swear off Rosewill for good. But that's my opinion, Rosewill may just hate me.

Bottom line: go with the Antec. I've been consistently using a 430W Antec since 2004. It has seen me through 3 different builds after being initially used as a server PSU, and is currently resting in Passion at Girlfriend's apartment just purring away.
    I would really like my Thermaltake prizes... Thanks everyone for my wonderful prizes!

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Ok, I probably won't get another Rosewill PSU, then. The air coming out of my 600W is always warm, too, even with my relatively small load (see "my system").
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Fresh Paint

Thermaltake, Antec or Coolermaster. I personally own a Thermaltake Tough Power and its been going strong since I built this pc.

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

I looked at Thermaltake and was very keen on getting one but then looked at Antec and you cant go wrong. My current Antec HE 550 as been going for 4 years now without a hitch.

Jeff you hardly need 800w for an AM2 rig. My brothers rig (which is very similar to yours, except it's running an Intel E6600) runs perfectly off of a Cooler Master Extreme Power 500 ($70), got it from MSY and has been running for almost 2 years now without issue, only downside is it doesn't have sleeved cables and only 1x6-pin connector. I can tell you the maximum you will ever need (unless you do Tri SLI or something lol) will about 500-650W.

I recommend these:
    Seasonic PSR550+ - $125
    Coolermaster Extreme Power+ 550w - $87 (or any of the Cooler Master ones really, modular is better )
    Antec TP 550w - $153 (or any of the other Antec PSU)
    and if you want to go Thermaltake the TR2 550w - $109

If you really want a good PSU I would get a Corsair from PCCG though, you can't go wrong.

Are you sure it's the PSU? Have you tested your rig with a different one, swapped out RAM, tried a different GPU? I thought my PSU had died but it was my mobo.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

I'm running an Ultra X3 800W now, love it