Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multi-booting OSes

ATX Mental Case The Great Destroyer's Avatar

Default Multi-booting OSes

alright guys, this is something i've been wanting to try for a while now. i want to install 4 OSes onto one drive (w/ 4 partitions of course!) right now i have 64bit XP on an IDE drive and Win7 on a SATA drive, and i get an error message after the POST screen, i'm assuming because its reading conflicting MBRs. so what i want to do is install 64bit XP (main OS for gaming and such), Win7, 32bit XP (for certain programs that refuse to run in 64bit), and i'd like to try ubuntu.

has anyone tried running more than 2 OSes, and is it even possible? anything i need to be aware of?
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Default Re: Multi-booting OSes

I'm running XP 32, Vista Ultimate 32 and Win 7 32 off of one drive, each on its own separate partition. I tried it with dual drives and it wouldnt work for me. I installed them all onto a single drive, one OS on each partition, and at bootup it asks you which one you want to boot into

i figured out what my error message problem was. the IDE was the original drive in the computer, but after i installed the SATA drives, it set them at a higher priority, so as soon as i switched that, i stopped getting the error message.

another thing i've been having problems with is with 32bit XP getting BSOD'd when i go to install it. it'll load up all the drivers to prepare for the install, but then it crashes at the end. i'm not sure if my disk is bad or (and this is a wild guess) if its just a result of trying to install a 32bit OS on a computer thats already running a 64bit OS.

alright, i got 32-bit XP installed on one of my other partitions, and copied the partition with 64-bit XP onto another partition with GParted. i booted up the PC and got the "cannot find ntldr" message. i fixed that and got a boot.ini error. i followed the instructions on microsoft's site, but it didnt fix anything. i'm at the point where i'm about ready to wipe my drives and do a clean install of everything.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

thats your best bet

i ended up just installing x64 over the old partition. i got the XP bootloader, but it wont show Win7. and i went to reinstall that, but my cheap DVD decides to go out on me and reads as empty... if it werent for boredom and free time, i wouldn't have bothered with this project. but what the heck, i'm halfway done now!

any input on linux OSes? right now i've been told Ubuntu or Mint.

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Destroyer View Post
    i ended up just installing x64 over the old partition. i got the XP bootloader, but it wont show Win7. and i went to reinstall that, but my cheap DVD decides to go out on me and reads as empty... if it werent for boredom and free time, i wouldn't have bothered with this project. but what the heck, i'm halfway done now!

any input on linux OSes? right now i've been told Ubuntu or Mint.
    Windows 7 and Vista use a different bootloader than xp. I googled install xp after vista, or something like that, and found a way to install the vista/7 bootloader after xp is installed.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Mint is ubuntu based is it not? and trying to get 7 to boot properly from the XP menu wouldnt work... XP has a legacy boot loader...honestly.. if you want to do this in a slightly more difficult way... install all your windows first... dont even worry about booting..
    and once ya got (64/32/7) installed throw on your flavour of linux.. and use grub. great bootloader.. lots of options will also let you boot from other drives... of any type of connection (sata/IDE)
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sigquotes part of this.

You have to install the OSs from oldest to newest. The Win7 bootloader will recognize an XP install, but not vice-versa. I don't know about Linux.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

One thing you will need to be wary of is that most (if not all) hard drives are limited to 4 primary partitions (keeping in mind that all logical partitions on a drive are housed inside a single primary partition). Because of this, since Linux needs a swap partition (usually logical), when you install Linux you'll want to have it install to an LVM (Logical Volume Manager), which creates a primary partition containing all required partitions inside as logical partitions. This will let you have each Windows version on its own primary partition (Windows gets cranky when you install it to a logical partition), then have the LVM on the fourth allowed primary partition. As for a Linux distro, I would definitely highly recommend Ubuntu, both for it's wide hardware support through incorporation of closed-source and third-party drivers, and it's large, active user base. As for order of install, as has been mentioned, Vista and 7 use a different boot loader than XP, and Grub will override them all, so I would recommend installing in this order:
    XP's (shouldn't matter which order they're in) -> 7 -> Linux

If you use Ubuntu's 'alternate install' disc, it will give you the option to use an LVM (which is not an option given in the normal install disc).

As a side note, considering the reasons you have mentioned for wanting some of these OS's (primarily 32-bit XP and Linux), I'm wondering; have you considered virtualization? That way you could have access to all the OS's without having to reboot, and if you use an integration feature (like VMWare's 'Unity' or VirtualBox's 'Seamless Mode') then the applications can be pulled out of the VM window and behave as if they are running in the host OS.