Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Headphone Jack pinout or repair manual

Arrow Headphone Jack pinout or repair manual

I have a dell inspiron 9300 that I just do not want to part with even though the battery is cooked the ac adapter has seen better days and I have no sound. It is still a great laptop really and being that I used it as a desktop replacement for a good year and a half it has served me very well and it doesn't really bother me that its tethered to an outlet, being that is all it was ever meant for. The problem is that the head phone jacks on these laptops were put in a very bad place and put much stress on the headphone jack. It is a foxconn 5 pin 3.5 mm headphone jack but I can not source the part anywhere and it is likely that it is either proprietary or at least the part number is. What I need is either a pinout of the headphone connector so I can bypass the head phones and feed the speakers directly or find a new headphone jack and simply replace it.
    Regedit'ed, Rooted, and Jailbroke anymore questions?
    Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.”

Default Re: Headphone Jack pinout or repair manual

It would likely be easier to just go with a USB sound solution..

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Not if I want the speakers to work. The headphone jack acts as a mechanical switch so that if the headphones are plugged I get no sound. That is the purpose of bypassing or replacing this switch. I apologizefor crudeness and shortness of reply I am on my iPod.
    Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.”

Anodized

So you're plugging speakers directly into the headphone jack? Jacks sometimes have a built in switch, such as here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ja...ket-switch.jpg -- from the article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector

Hope that helps.

No I just want the onboard speakers to work. Ideally I would like to replace the jack all together. It would settle for getting the inboard 2.1 working again.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    No I just want the onboard speakers to work. Ideally I would like to replace the jack all together. It would settle for getting the inboard 2.1 working again.
    Ok, that makes more sense. I just assumed you were using external speakers plugged into the headphone jack, since it's essentially tethered to a desk anyways.

An external USB sound device would bypass the onboard sound/speakers completely, and let you plug speakers into it, which would eliminate your need to repair anything internally.

If this laptop is really in this bad of condition, why spend time/money repairing it? Plug in something external for now, and then you can transfer that device to a new laptop/computer in the future.

Just my 2 cents.

Is the headphone jack directly attached to the mobo in the laptop, or is it on a separate pcb, connected by a cable? If the latter, try just disconnecting the cable to the separate PCB and see if that allows sound out the internal speakers.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

The reason being is two fold one that it gets transported back and forth nearly everyday to work with me so that I have a flavor of every windows os as well as Linux for troubleshooting as well as some personal use. The other reason is that it would be nice to have the inboards working as an external device will not feed he speakers unless it first does not see that their are no headphones plugged in. The main issue is that one of the pins in the connector is bent so it always thinks that there are headphones plugged.

The other reason to repair it is that these are awesome laptops (aside from the headphone jack, apparently). Good thing I don't use mine much... though I believe my 9400 just shares a chassis, I don't know how different the design of the motherboard is.

Mine still works, so if there's something I can do for you regarding it, let me know. Mine's the newer version (9400 has a Core Duo), though, so I dunno how much I'd be able to help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Custom Title Honors

Looks like the audio jacks are part of the main board.

Picture above is from link below. It is NOT mine.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Inspiron-93...15157003r34972

But the picture on this site doesn't appear to have any audio jacks visible.
    http://laptops-motherboard.com/index...roducts_id=137

This one when doing a search for just Dell Inspiron 9300 motherboard shows it in a different location, but still on the mainboard
    http://laptops-motherboard.com/image...YD612-6400.jpg

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

Yes it is on the main board, on your second link it is underneath the black pad on the right. And yes this is an awesome laptop the only thing it doesnt have that the xps version did is the geforce cideo card and about .2 ghz on the processor. It runs all my steam games and C&C RA 3 with no issues as well as any heavy processing like rar cracking that I am running in linux right now.