Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone please walk me through file sharing over a wireless connection?

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Default Can someone please walk me through file sharing over a wireless connection?

Either I am dumb as a rock or I am missing something. I have been trying to access files on my photo editing rig with my laptop via a d-link wireless router. I can do it easy with a hard line but going wireless is being a bit troublesome. So can one of you IT gods please help me get it working right?

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

Default Re: Can someone please walk me through file sharing over a wireless connection?

Should work exactly the same way as the hard wire. Share the folder or drive that has the photos on them, make sure both computers are in the same network and you should be able to access the files. I don't think i did anything extra when I setup my file server and all 3 computers can access the shared drives. For my photo drive i make sure when sharing i checked off allow others to edit files, for the ability to upload from another computer.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

Default Re: Can someone please walk me through file sharing over a wireless connection?

You're probably having the same problem I did. My Belkin thought it should go ahead and act like a router.

No.

You have to go in to its control panel (192.168.something.1, probably) and poke through the menus until you see something that lets you set it so that it'll act only as an access point.

Can't get any more specific, because it's not letting me in at the moment, but that's how I got mine going. The way it is (likely) now, for you, and how it was for me, was the two routers (or router+modem) fighting, and file sharing not happening at all.

Once you do that, just share some folders and it should work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

I got it working but only one way. I can see and edit files on my editing computer via my laptop but if I get onto the editing computer I can not see any of the shared files that are on my laptop. I can not wait to get this figured out because until I find another 754 mobo I am with out file server. But when I get my file server back up and running I can eliminate 1 cable with the wireless router and not have to hook up the laptop every time I need to transfer files from a shoot.

Is the laptop running vista? If so, make sure your "network type" is "home", not "work" or "public", otherwise it will block file sharing (smb connections).

Can you browse the IP of the machine hosting the share? (start-run-\\ip )

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

The network on the laptop is set to home. It's still a one way street. On the laptop I can browse and edit files on both machines that are hard wired to the router, but if I try to do the same with the shared files and folders on the laptop from either of the hard wired machines I get nothing.

When I get home tonight I will try and browse the laptop with its IP.

Any other firewall/av software in the mix?

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

No and I have turned off AVG and all of the windows security features. To rule them out.

OS on the systems?
    All in the same subnet?
    All in the same workgroup?

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

1 box is XP pro
    1 box is Vista Ultimate 64
    lap top is Vista Home premium