Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Split stereo output?

Default Split stereo output?

Ok, here is the situation:

I've got a stereo system, the one under my system. Its placed directly in between my desk with computer and television/ht section. I used to run 4 pairs of speakers to the stereo, just because I could, but have since dropped to two. The stereo has multiple inputs so taking input from the tv is fine as well as the pc.

The issue is that I want to have a set of speakers by the tv and a set by the pc. When I'm gaming I don't want the ones by the tv to be going so that way if someone is watching tv it isn't totally overtaking the televisions speakers.

How to I split the bare wire spring clip outputs from the stereo into two selectable (switched) outputs. So when I am on the pc I can flip it one way and only the pc speakers output, and when using the tv only the speakers by the tv output.

I'm sure I could build a switch by hand, but do they have a selectable switch for bare wire speakers?

Default Re: Split stereo output?

I've found something like this but it seems quite expensive and overkill as I only need two selectors.

At that price I might as well get a ht system like I was originally going to, but figured this would be cheap and easy.

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

Ground them all together and use a DPDT switch for the +'s?

-CollinstheClown

Would a box wired like this work? Looks like it should, but I'm not very good at wiring up stuff.

Top is output to stereo

Bottom is the inputs from the two sets of speakers.

Flip both switches one way and it goes to the computer speakers, flip both other way and it goes to home theater speakers. Look right?

I was going to run right away to radioshack to pick up what I needed but realized I don't have a spot for the extra speakers over by the tv, and they have no connectors to just use long cable.

Hooked the tvs output to the stereo and it seems that with the tv volume and the speakers, even though they are over to the right side, adds enough volume without seeming like its coming too much from one side.

The fiance wanted the tv louder as with the big fans to keep cool going it can be tough to hear quiet parts in movies and such. Audio quality or directionality doesn't seem to be a big issue for her. =)

I am going to keep this project in mind though because I want to build the two sets of extra speakers into a custom bookshelf enclosure, and wire them to terminals so I can use custom length wire. That way I can run them to the couch. Perhaps this summer I will take on this project. No point in spending my birthday monies on this when there is the issue of her gaming rig overheating. Ehh

I have a two-into-one adaptor plugged into my audio output. Two leads from that, one to the desk speakers, one to the amp. I just switch on the ones I want to use.

Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by aintnothang View Post
    Think of a way to simulate a real bullet hole, like shooting it.

I'm not sure I understand. The output from my stereo is bare wire spring clips. The output looks like this.

The output from the pc isn't the issue, as that is usb, while I use RCA from the television. The issue is the one set of speakers is over by the computer. I don't want those to make sound when the tv is set to output through the stereo. Intead, I want the tv to have its own set of speakers over by the tv that I can switch to when I want.

Setup of the room.
    Code:
    S1 - TV - S1             Stereo             S2 - PC - S2
    When I am over watching tv on that side of the room I want to flick a switch and have the speakers on that side of the room, S1, be the only ones audible, and when over on the pc I only want S2 to be audible. Not both at the same time.

Edit: The inputs aren't an issue, as I can flick a button on the stereo and switch from pc to tv. I want certain speakers to be on when I want them and off when I don't.

Doesnt your stereo have Speaker A/B selectors?

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Its in my system, but this is what the stereo is. It isn't a receiver, just a standard shelf system with aux, usb, and composite game passthrough inputs. So nope, no a/b selector that I know of. As the ports for speakers are just like the link I posted above. 2 pairs of spring clipped bare wire outputs, one for left speakers, one for right.

Assuming I designed that box right it should work. Should all fit in a standard project box too.

The output from the pc isn't the issue, as that is usb, while I use RCA from the television. The issue is the one set of speakers is over by the computer.
    Ah, I misunderstood.

Quote Originally Posted by aintnothang View Post
    Think of a way to simulate a real bullet hole, like shooting it.