Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new Holodisc

Default new Holodisc

This is cool! a 500gb disc? an interesting read for sure!

http://www.popsci.com/gear-amp-gadge...cing-holo-disc

Today, General Electric unveiled a next-generation optical storage technology that can pack as much as 20 Blu-Ray discs or a hundred DVDs' worth of data onto a single disc. The newly devised discs, which use holograms to store data in the form of bits, can hold 500 gigabytes of information, the company says.

Researchers achieved this data density by embedding microscopic holographic patterns in light-sensitive plastic. When the disc is later "read" (hit with a laser beam to retrieve the data for subsequent deciphering), these plastic micro-holograms act like tiny mirrors that reflect the signal, says Brian Lawrence, project leader for GE's Holographic Data Storage Program.

Current discs work in a similar manner, but they encode data in pits etched into a one-micron-thin layer of metal such as aluminum. But CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Ray discs just scratch the surface of data storage, literally and figuratively. "In these previous three generations, plastic acts as an inert carrier for the data that sits in a thin layer of metal, while in our method the plastic becomes the storage medium itself," says Lawrence.

The products that GE plans to sell based on the technology -- starting in 2012 -- will work in devices similar to current disc readers, allowing buyers to still access and play their old albums, movies, and other media. Crucially, at least from a cost perspective, GE says the new discs will also be manufactured using the same molded plastic technique that's currently used for making discs.

GE plans to target the commercial archiving sector first, including medical and financial institutions that keep records around for decades. Today, most archival data is kept on old-school magnetic tape, like that found in the cassettes that fill bins at used record stores. Magnetic tape has a lifetime of only about 20 years, says Lawrence. "Companies nowadays have to have a 'refresh' strategy -- before the 20 years is up, they have to copy their data to another medium," he says. CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs similarly break down in about a decade, as their metal data-storing layer corrodes, making them unreadable. Comparatively, Lawrence expects the new holo-discs to safely store info for 50 to 100 years, in part because plastic does not degrade much (just ask environmentalists).

As for the consumer market, the possibility of squeezing 100 movies (with bonus features) onto a single disc could free up some of the shelf space that the movie or CD library used to occupy -- and you could take it all on the go. The discs could also appeal to individuals who rack up reams of digital data, from Facebook-ready pics to personal video and audio recordings.

The micro-holographic disc is a culmination of a six-year effort by GE, though researchers have pursued holographic storage technology in some form since the early 1960s. In ever-upping the storage ante, Lawrence says GE is gunning for a micro-holographic disc that can hold twice as much as the current prototype -- a full terabyte.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: new Holodisc

Improving on dead technology as far as I'm concerned. Seriously, move on. Thumb drives, Solid State technology and the such are much more practical in basically every sense.

I can't wait for the day that when you go to the rental store, you aren't picking up a disc, but a thumb drive.

Although, I think eventually the majority of media will be presented not through discs or thumb drives, but digitally through the internet. Thats basically whats happening right now. I can order or rent media of various sorts on my television, on my computer, on my phone, etc.

I think that we're also going to see sooner than later wireless internet presented in something similar to EVDO or 3G technology. We won't be limited to wifi hot spots anymore, we'll be able to connect to the internet almost everywhere we go. I mention this because I think thats when the true "digital age" will really start taking off. The current majority of people have portable devices that can play various types of media, whether they be games, music or movies or whatever else. In the future, more than likely doubly-so. Why go to the rental store when you can just do it at home, on the road, at the beach, etc etc etc.

Anyways, thats basically why I'm kind of "meh" about lots of things, but especially "disc" technology.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

I have to agree with you about everything going digital, but its cool to see new ideas in technology. using holograms to store information? with long term storability? thats just cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

They would be good for backing things up.

Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    They would be good for backing things up.
    Especially considering solid state drives don't exactly have the best lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by DaJe View Post
    Especially considering solid state drives don't exactly have the best lifetime.
    Maybe they don't perform as well as they're supposed to, nothing ever does, but the cheaper solid states are listed for a million hours. The Intel drives are listed for one and a quarter million and OCZ is listed for one and half million. Thats about a hundred and fifteen years at minimum. I doubt they actually achieve that, but even if they're off by three quarters, thats still twenty five years of continuous usage, which by that time you'll probably have upgraded anyways.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

I don't see thumb drives being the DVD of tomorrow but, on that note, I don't see these being the DVD of tomorrow either. What kind of movie would use 500gigs? These will simply be (most likely) extremely expensive backup storage disks.

Could you imagine burning 500gigs of data? lol

Since 2012 is a while away, I'm going to shoot low and say these will probably cost around 100 bucks a piece.

GE is gunning for a micro-holographic disc that can hold twice as much as the current prototype -- a full terabyte"
    My ass.

I wonder if you'll need a special kind of drive for these new discs? Purple-Ray? lol

I think the future is going to be over-the-air streaming. Put 3G into our TV's and other electronic devices. Sign up for a service plan with the provider and they'll give you a code or something that you just enter into your device, or maybe you call them up and say "hey, I have a service agreement with you guys and I would like to activate one of my compatible devices...", or something on those lines. Thats about as convenient as it gets. lol

We're also going to start receiving commercials in our dreams for underwear which we won't be able to afford because we're working for next to nothing at a local space delivery service...

Speaking of 3G...

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/05/04...direct-tcrn.ch

God I ****ing love Japan.

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

Companies today still use magnetic tape drives for backups. The same technologies that was phased out by the CD in terms of music media. I don't think PC users will ever need to get holo drives or anything, but this could save companies a lot of physical space as well as make it easier and less of a hassle to store information. As the article states, tapes go bad after about 20 years. What makes more sense? Buying all new tapes to replace the old ones as well and more to backup the current data every 20ish years, or buying a couple holodiscs that will probably out last the company?

either way its a very cool technology and its neat to see how plastic can store information.

-CollinstheClown