Thread: Mobo/CPU Combo For a Rendering Comp.

Default Mobo/CPU Combo For a Rendering Comp.

What would a good motherboard and prosessor combo for a 3D animation and rendering computer?
    Despite your intelligence, you’ll make a perfect soldier. Save the good ones for Harvard, and send the rest to die.

Default Re: Mobo/CPU Combo For a Rendering Comp.

What's your budget range? Is this going to be a workstation, or just a "slave" that may become part of a "rendering farm"?

For a workstation, even though a good processor helps, the most important thing is your graphics card. If you are going to be doing professional work that runs allot of OpenGL based software, getting a professional level card (FirePro or Quadro) may be worth the price premium they carry. Core i7 (any model) with 6 to 18GiB of ram, on any x58 motherboard that has 6 DDR3 memory slots (I personally prefer Gigabyte and Asus over other brands, intel makes solid boards as well, that said the ASUS P6T looks to fit the bill at a reasonable price), with something like the FirePro V5700 (very good bang for the buck professional card) or better.

For something that you are going to use as more of a rendering farm node, you want to get a high core count and lots of memory (Core i7 if you can afford it, C2Q or Phenom II are your other choices).
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol