Thread: Ultra-X connect

Fresh Paint

Default Ultra-X connect

would any one sugest this psu?.....im considering geting a new psu. and just wondering if this was worth my time and money?

Water Cooled

they are very nice psu's with modular lines. considering a $100 price tag for 500W it is not bad at all. however ive heard they have some problems, some fail, and the burning rubber smell from the heatsinks. it might just been the first batch or something and they fixed them. I would give it a try and if you dont like, you send it back.

ATX Mental Case

mine had an ozone smell on first boot, but once it burned in its been fine. 12v runs a little high according to the bios and othe software, tho i don't have a meter to test it directly. i'd say its fine for a mid-range sli system, dual 6600 or 6800gt, but i don't think it could handle a heavy draw from an FX cpu, dual 6800 ultras, and multiple hd's without the 12v rail becoming unstable.

i'd consider the ocz powerstream as an atlernative, or if you want a modular psu the ocz modstream or the antec neopower, since these are all proven psu's.

edit: you might ask, "well why did i buy it?" to be honest, i read one good review and bought purely on the premise of appearance and the modular design. THEN i did the research on the rails and performance. I would suggest reversing this order. not saying that its a bad or unreliable psu, just that there are more effecient performers for the same or lesser cost.
    Last edited by ack ack; 04-03-2005 at 03:47 AM.

The SlackMeister

from the things i read, its not the best PSU out there. i have antec neopower abd very pleased with it. i can recomend it to anyone.

Modular power supplies are problematic by design, plain and simple. However it is comparable to the average midrange PSU on the market, its no PC Power and Cooling but I would compare it to a standard coolermaster\thermaltake\enlight with a benefit of a nifty little cabling system. As long as your not planning on giving it a serious workout with a half dozen hard drives, some opticals and a dually rig it should serve you quite well, the 400w variants run better than the 500w variants and it will save you a few bucks.