Thread: The ultimate internet ownage. This will never be topped.

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Default The ultimate internet ownage. This will never be topped.

So I was reading through some old threads on a bike forum I am on and came across this post. http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/gen...s-purpose.html (warning: Its a super long thread)

Basically what happened was a guy on another forum (a crown victoria forum) told his wanna be cop buddies that he makes it a point to pull out in front of bikers so they will crash and die. This pissed off one of the members who was also a member of the bike forum I am on. So he made a post and linked to the original post on the cv forum.

The bike forum members started spreading the word on other bike sites and after a few day there were thousands of bike and car enthusiast who were pissed off at this guy. Some were cops and other officials. Then his public info was searched out and posted. The guy had claimed to own a business selling lighting and radio gear to cops and fire depts.

So this crown vic he claimed he used to pull out in front of bikers was also his "companies" demo car. Well it looked just like a cop car with lights and radios. (he even had the secret service and white house comms channels in one of the radios)

One of the members of the bike site ( who also happens to be a world renowned non profit CEO) starts a site about the guy. A radio station gets word and picks up the story, then the news station does a story and finally the cops get involved and the guy gets arrested for impersonating the police.

There is much much more to the story but that about sums it up. The lesson everyone should take from this story? Watch what you say on the net because you never know what people will do with those words.

The cool thing is that people from several different sites some completely unrelated joined together and kept things civil with no treats of bodily harm or death. They worked together to get the media involved and to fix a problem. (that problem being a deranged homicidal maniac who thinks hes a cop). This just proved that even today if enough of us were to ban together we could make some changes.

For those who actually read through the thread: Invisitype pwn3s j00!!!!

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Default Re: The ultimate internet ownage. This will never be topped.

Oh and for those wanting to view the site that was started about the guy, well its not around any more but you can view it via the internet archive. http://www.archive.org/index.php

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Awesome that he got what he deserved.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

indeed

This reminded me of Dusty the Cat.

http://www.kenny-glenn.net/

In a nutshell, this huge d-bag from Oklahoma thought it would be cool to post videos on Youtube of him abusing a cat. If you know anything about 4chan, /b/ was the place where the lolcats meme started. /b/ being filled with cat lovers naturally didn't like this and went on a social engineering raid for this kid. They found his fake name, Myspace and Facebook profiles and tracked down his real info and location. The police were notified and Dusty the Cat was saved by /b/.

Gotta love good ol' social engineering.

Edit: Forgot one of the coolest parts- they used the background from the Youtube videos (the kids room) to match up the perp in his own house (from the Facebook and Myspace pics). Found his drum set, window placement, all sorts of stuff. You don't mess with /b/.
    RIP Bucko

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

/b/ is a representation of the internet. Most of the time, it's a bunch of nonsense, but occassionally, good things happen.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

how did /b/ become a representation of the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    how did /b/ become a representation of the internet?
    Here we go.. took a bit of searching, but I found something:

"You COMPLETELY miss the point of 4chan. 4chan is not Fark "oh hay guys i found a cute link ha ha.". 4chan is not Slashdot's pseudo-intellectual discussion. 4chan is not LiveJournal, SuicideGirls, or HotOrNot. 4chan is a place for people to be monsters- the horrible, senseless, uncaring monsters that they really are.

Tsunami owns the Asian continent and we laugh. Psychotic emo takes his sickness out on a cat and we laugh. People mutilate themselves for no apparent reason and we laugh. Suicide, homicide, genocide- we laugh. Racism, sexism, discrimination, xenophobia and baseless hate- we laugh. We are mindless "me-too"ism; we are irrational preference; we are pointless flamewars; we are the true face of the internet." -Anon

I think this pretty much sums it up.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro