Thread: Any LGA775 Air Cooling Recommendations?

Default Any LGA775 Air Cooling Recommendations?

I'm looking at getting an aftermarket cooler for my E8500, not sure what one to get as I don't think I can fit the Noctua NH-U12P in my case (It needs 158mm of vertical clearance, I think I have maybe 140mm (~50mm above the top of the pci/expansion riser back plane)). Anyone have any recommendations, or know if the Noctua NH-U12P would fit? I'd prefer to have a mounting system with a back plate (current cooler bends the motherboard, and I don't like that).
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: Any LGA775 Air Cooling Recommendations?

Just about any Zalman is good. You'll have to take a look at their either low profile ones or their smaller ones. The 110mm version is just above 140mm I believe. These should all be LGA 775 compatible.

Arctic Cooling is always a good option too. This one seems to be their best seller and is under 140mm!

Here is a monster list of CPU Coolers with good reviews that are all under 140mm in height. I didn't get them all though, only about probably half of the ones with good reviews. There was just way too many. I can't freaking believe how many cpu coolers are out there! ><

I don't know about back plates though. There were way too many to bother to check. I think most of the Zalmans have backplates though, plus I would go with them anyways. Over a thousand reviews and still perfect 5 out of 5 rating? Plus everyone says they're good stuff. So they're probably a pretty safe bet.

I used to own a TT Blue Orb II with a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz and it ran very cool to the touch. Wasn't warm at all, even at extended periods of time.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    There was just way too many. I can't freaking believe how many cpu coolers are out there! ><
    That's what I've noticed, hence the asking for recommendations .
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

Welder Of Aluminum bartvandenberg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mtekk View Post
    That's what I've noticed, hence the asking for recommendations .

thermalright ultra 120 extreme. Dont bother with anything else. If it dont fit, cut your window and make it fit. its worth it.

i had a zalman 9700 myself (that i got for free) but hated it. Didnt perform that well (compared to my true anyway) and it was generally not that quiet.

So, instead of free, i bought a TRUE for $70 CAD, and wont ever go back to anything else. Even my wifes comp has one. Doesnt need it really, but just because they are so great.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

http://www.frostytech.com/articlevie...id=2244&page=5

Might want to opt for the non-extreme version?

Here is another review...

http://www.overclockercafe.com/Revie...treme/pg3.html

Looks like the MaxOrb might be slightly better, but I definitely like these type of coolers more as they do blow air over your motherboard.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

I also had a Zalman 9700, and it was outperformed by a Scythe Ninja (Rev B.. the HUGE one) with no fan! Passive ftw.

However, both were outperformed by a Arctic 7 Pro. So Arctic Cooling gets my vote.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by mtekk View Post
    I'm looking at getting an aftermarket cooler for my E8500, not sure what one to get as I don't think I can fit the Noctua NH-U12P in my case (It needs 158mm of vertical clearance, I think I have maybe 140mm (~50mm above the top of the pci/expansion riser back plane)). Anyone have any recommendations, or know if the Noctua NH-U12P would fit? I'd prefer to have a mounting system with a back plate (current cooler bends the motherboard, and I don't like that).

I have a Noctua CPU cooler they are superb - better performance than cheap watercooling. Come with a full range of very solid well manufactured fittings and backplates and the fan is nearly silent - even in high speed mode.

My rig has the U-9 which can only take a 92mm fan as opposed to the 120mm version you are looking at but this would fit your rig - and lets me overclock my Athlon X2 4200+ from 2.2 to 2.5+ Ghz on a mobo that isn't helping much with temps never going over 50 degrees running Orthos.

You can fit more than one fan on to the cooler to improve throughput or even run it fanless if you are underclocking or have good case flow.

Quote Originally Posted by bartvandenberg View Post
    thermalright ultra 120 extreme. Dont bother with anything else.
    Except a Noctua which outperforms it

CrazyB

I have all Noctua case fans now since I got one and loved how quiet they are. I'm going to go with the U-9 then, it looks like it is about the best that I can fit in my case. Thanks for the replies.