Thread: Quick RAM Question

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Default Quick RAM Question

Will DDR2 1066 RAM work in a motherboard that's standard is DDR2 800? If I remember correctly, it will but I just want to make sure before I order it.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: Quick RAM Question

I believe it will, but it will only run at 800. If it doesn't, all you have to do is go into the bios and mess around with SOMETHING. I'm not sure what. I've also heard that some motherboards don't support this "feature", so you might want to check first?

As I understand it, some motherboards clock down higher memory to what the board supports automatically. However, some motherboards only do this manually. Furthermore, some motherboards (older ones I presume) don't do this at all and so it won't recognize the system memory.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Custom Title Honors

Make sure to check the voltages too. Some of the "performance" memory requires a higher voltage then your motherboard might put out. With mine, I am running a DDR2 1066 on a default ddr2 800 motherboard. The motherboard voltage is 1.8 and the mem "recommends" 2.2-2.4v. As long as the bios allows you to up the voltage IF needed and run it at 1066 it's a win in my book but I was having issues with it running stable at 1066 even though it is 1066 ram. I just left them at 800 and the default motherboard voltage without an issue. just paid extra for standard ram

Also you should be able to look up your motherboard if you know the details of it (or look up the model pc) and see if it supports it from the get go.

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

It's probably better to go with some DDR2 800, I assume? My mobo is somewhat retarded about things and doesn't like overclocking or anything much. I saw some pretty awesome RAM with fast timings so I'll prolly go with that. By the time I upgrade, RAM will be even cheaper and I'll just upgrade then unless I can OC easier on the new mobo.

Custom Title Honors

I would just got with the DDR2 800 then if you know you have a difficult motherboard. No sense in buying something even if it is only a few dollars more and can't use it for its potential.

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

They're actually right around the same price, at least the OCZ stuff that I was looking at on Newegg is, anyways. Thinking about it, it would make more sense to just replace the RAM in this rig and slowly save up for another one as opposed perpetually upgrading this one.

Welder Of Aluminum bartvandenberg's Avatar

800 is cheaper than 1066, so like everyone else says, id go with it.

pick up a nice 4gb crucial kit. 4-4-4-12 timings, about $50-$60 bucks. You'll be able to tighten the timings up even more with 2.2volts. I personally wouldnt suggest OCZ ram, as i, myself, or anyone i know, has ever had luck with it.

Too bad team xtreem ram isnt available anymore. you could get 3-3-3-8 at 800 with their D9 chips.

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    They're actually right around the same price, at least the OCZ stuff that I was looking at on Newegg is, anyways. Thinking about it, it would make more sense to just replace the RAM in this rig and slowly save up for another one as opposed perpetually upgrading this one.
    If it's the same price, get the faster stuff to run at lower voltages or better timings. It runs at 800 by default, no matter what.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.