Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lets discuss web hosting services.

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Default Lets discuss web hosting services.

I have had my site hosted through http://www.bizland.com for 3 years now. In that 3 years I have had a total of 2 hours of down time, and 1 server crash where a hard drive crapped out. Other than that and a small email bug everything has been great. I pay $7 a month for 300gb storage and 3000gb transfer. Well I got a notice today that they will be shutting down my mySQL database because they changed the hosting package I am on. If I want to keep my database (which my wordpress powered blog is hosted on) then I have to pay an extra $5 a month for it. So rather than do that I decided to switch hosting companies since most offer several databases for free. I am looking at 1&1 anyone used them?

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Default Re: Lets discuss web hosting services.

I have a friend that uses 1 & 1, and he loves it. He said something about faxing them your domain name, though (I guess if you buy one through them). The website is http://lindmandoproductions.com
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

For years, I've been using http://powweb.com. Second webhost I've ever used. First one i ever tried ended up just disappeared and running off with my money. Powweb has been great though. Always kept the same price of $7.77 a month, yet always kept adding new features. Right now they're having a sale for new customers to pay $3.88 a month though. And they're also running a special right now on months free when you pay for 6 months. So that's basically $23 for a year of hosting.

When I first started using them years ago, I think they offered my 1GB of space. Then they kept doubling that as time went on. Now ever since they got bought out and moved here to Massachusetts, they kept offering more and more, until they eventually started offering unlimited space.

But anyways, I've been with them for years, and aside from everything else, they've always given me good service and support. So there's my recommendation right there.

Stay away fro 1 and 1. A friend of mine just switched from M$ to Linux hosting. Total nightmare on the support side from them. It was like they didn't even know the difference. A coworker has site5. cPanel, fantastico, unlimited domains, bandwidth, space, and E-mail. They also have an affiliate program that pays you $75 for each person you send to them. Simple as putting a small graphic on your site (that they'll even provide) saying powered by site5 with your affiliate link already built in. Not required, but if you have a lot of traffic, it could mean not only free hosting, but also some extra cash in your pocket. Win/win in my eyes. If you're looking for totally free, www.000webhost.com. Host your own domain or get a free one from them. I have a few sites with them.. sgtm.site90.net, freeiphone.comli.com, jafo.comli.com. You pick the subdomain name, they choose the parent. They have an affiliate program also, $5 per referral. In the end, if you're going to pay for hosting, go with site5.

I second sgtM's words. Please stay away from 1 n' 1, instead of repeating his words see ^.

I use dreamhost, ultimateclanhost, art of war central, game servers, and bluehost for web hosting right now. All are very good.

Things about dreamhost, support is A+. The control panel is very confusing and hard to navigate and find what you want, all of this can be avoided if your familiar with HTDOCS and directories/hierarchies of a webserver.

Ulitmate clan host, absolutely the BEST free hosting site I have ever used. Control panel is AWESOME, out off all of these hosts it has the best support team (wierd I know, cause they are a free host).

Art of War Central and Game servers is pretty much the same, be aware using the breakdown OS they use on their servers, the only way you can access domain e-mail is through an e-mail client; you cannot use HTTP.

Blue host, very nice, great features, good control panel. Support team B-.
    It's like JFK announcing the moon mission. He had no expertise in space travel, and no way of knowing if it would work. He just announced "we're going to the moon" and then they made it happen because everyone was on the same page and working towards the same goal. If he had said "well, let's get some people in space, and we'll see how far out we can get, and if I find someone to make a rocket strong enough, we could possibly approach the moon's orbit and maybe land" it wouldn't have happened.

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

I Just spent the last few min looking over what site5 has to offer. Seems like a steal at what they are charging. I would also get a $50 credit if I switched over to them. So its looking good for them.

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

I have also heard bad things about 1 & 1.

If you demands serious uptime go with Leaseweb
    Need a sig

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

I'd stay away from siteground as well. I thought they were a decent hosting company, but I made the noob mistake of not reading the fine print. In order to have multiple domains on your account (750 gigs storage/7.5 TB transfer per month) you have to pay a one time fee of roughly $45 for each one.

And they keep adding asinine "features" that truly show how limited the end user is. I expect that if I get more than 500 hits a day I'll get shut down due to "overloading their servers".

Bottom line, siteground is on par with 1 and 1. As soon as my contract is up (next Feb), I'll be looking into some different web hosting.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

bluehost.com

Only had very limited downtime in the 5+ years I have had them (maybe 1 day in that whole time that I have noticed). Great support, and great features.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Old thread much?
    Need a sig