Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Won't Boot

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Default Computer Won't Boot

Okay, so last Saturday started out bad, really bad. Long story short, water got thrown into my tower and the power button got pressed shortly afterward.

So tonight I decided to try and determine the problem so maybe I can fix it. This last week I had pulled the whole thing apart and inspected everything and made sure there were no burn marks.

Today I put the mobo back in, along with the PSU, CPU, and have been swapping the RAM around. First try I got three beeps. I then tried my other DIMM of RAM and got 2 beeps, and also got 2 beeps in every other combination. I tried looking at the ASUS website for the post code list and had no luck so I did about 15 Google searches before finding this website. I think my mobo uses the AMI beep codes (as the rest don't make sense with the beeping I've gotten).

By the way, I have this stuff:

ASUS P5B-MX Motherboard
    Intel E6320 CPU w/ stock cooler
    Thermaltake Purepower 500 NP 500W PSU
    2x2GB OCZ PC2 6400 Reaper X Edition DDR2 800 RAM

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

-Anthony

Default Re: Computer Won't Boot

IF it does turn out to be the RAM, well... RAM is dirt cheap now, lol. Look at this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227409

3 beeps used to be the norm for RAM failure I know that, 2 beeps I can't remember

Also is it 2 short beeps or 2 long beeps or 1 long 1 short?

Edit: http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepc...Standard%20IBM

According to what I've read your board correspondes to those beep codes. The IBM ones not the AMI ones but I could be wrong.

It's two short beeps. And it does the normal single beep right after it starts up and waits about 3-5 seconds to do the others.

have you tried taking out all of the cards like video and sound to see if it changes the boot process?
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

I don't have any of the cards in there, I completely disassembled the system to inspect the components and then just put the motherboard, CPU, PSU, and RAM back in. If my brother gets off of WoW ever I might borrow some RAM from his computer to see if it's actually the RAM or if the mobo itself is messed up.

I see. Well, I don't know what kind of PSU you have and I didn't google the mobo but my Dad had the same problem a long time ago and I had a similar response from trying every different RAM configuration I could think of. It wasn't until I was about to start breaking it down that I noticed that his extra 4 lead plug that runs from the PSU to the motherboard wasn't connected. I know that the initial problem was that liquid was spilled on the comp and you stated that the power button was pushed. What happened after it was pushed? Or did you disassemble everything to clean up the liquid before this boot error occurred. If so, check to make sure you didn't overlook any power leads to the mobo.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Well liquid went in there and very shortly afterward the button was pressed. It went through the front of the tower as I have none of the drive bay covers and just a couple fans in there. The computer didn't even boot up, no fans turned on or anything. Tomorrow while my brother is at school I'm going to borrow some RAM from his computer to see whether or not it does the same thing.

So after the liquid spilled, the computer would not boot at all. Then, after you removed the hardware and cleaned it, you can get it to boot to the point you described earlier. Is that correct?

That is correct, but after I removed the hardware I let it sit a week before messing with it again.