Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cathode Lights

Anodized

Default Cathode Lights

Hello been a while.

I recently got some cathode lights from christmas, its a dual set, with a black box thing and the on of switch.

Well with me being new to all the modding and stuff I dont really want to make any holes in the case for the switch and if the switch was in the case I would get bored and annoyed at havin to open it to turn it on and off.

So I was thinking obviously the cathode lights have the molex connectors, so I was wondering would it be possible to disconnect the wires from the on and off switch for the lights and then solder the wires to the Power button for the PC.

This obviously means that when I have soldered it, when I power the PC up the lights will come on making it easier and quicker.

So would this be possible?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Anthony

Default Re: Cathode Lights

There is a major flaw in your plan. When you change the switch to the one on the front of your case yolu are adding a voltage to those lines..... lines which connect to your mother board. I think you get my drift.

If you want it so that the lights are only on when the computer is on, set the switch to on. Nothing more to it. As the all rails (except for the 5v power rail which the mother board uses to keep CMOS data) are switched off when the computer is off, then you need not worry about it being on when the computer is off...... but if you leave on your computer during the night.... then you might want to reconsider this option.

If you built the computer by yourself or bought it, you may still have a single slot in the front where a drive is meant to go, drill through one of those plates and mount the switch there or you can use a fan controller with the options of 12v-Off-7v and take the switch off and connect up the fan controller into the 'loop'.

And just to give you one more reason not to use the front power button, even if it did work, you would only have tempory power to the invertor (the black box thing, as you describe it) therefore to keep it on you would need to hold it the entire time.

Anodized

ahh right yeah someone mentioned about the first problem you did and I did it again LOL, thought about it complicatedly.

Cheers though m8

Case Wizard

If you are wanting it on all of the time. Just plug in it the way you always would and have the switch On and hidden in the case. Most kits have everything covered so they wont ground out against the case.

Anodized

Cheers,

My Gf's dad whose know's abit about computers has just raised a point that interested me, would it be possible to run them of the fan power? as in splice the connection into the fans cables, or is this again going to cause the problems mentioned above?

Thanks again in advance

Overclocked

you're proly thinking of running a series where this would lower the vltage you still wouldnt kno exactly what it is i think the better option would be to find out what resistance you're getting inside the box go out and get a resisitor and than do your sauldering with the resistor. i dont think im overlooking nething but im sure someone else will say something if i am.

Anodized

hmmm I had an ideam if I completely remove the switch then connect the wires from the switches together would this cause a problem. ( electronics noob again)

If I'm understanding it correctly, you plan to join the 2 wires together to permentally turn on the cold cathode. This shouldn't cause a problem unless you plan to run your computer overnight.......

Case Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by crenn
    If I'm understanding it correctly, you plan to join the 2 wires together to permentally turn on the cold cathode. This shouldn't cause a problem unless you plan to run your computer overnight.......
    It shouldnt cause to much of a problem.

I run my on all of the time and I have my computer on 24/7, the CCFL is starting to go from Blue to white light but thats from being a couple of years old.

Anodized

ahh so I just join the wires and it will be fine?

Because am guessing that would beas if the button was in its on positions constantly, the computer wont be on 24/7 parents would kill me.

Thanks guys