Thread: I want to build a computer to develop video games

Default I want to build a computer to develop video games

I Want To Build A Computer That You Can Create Videogames On. I Mean All Parts Of One. Models And Coding. So If You Guys Have Any Sugestions As To The Components I Should Use, I Would Greatly Appresiate It.
    Despite your intelligence, you’ll make a perfect soldier. Save the good ones for Harvard, and send the rest to die.

Default Re: I To Build A Computer To Develop Video Games.

Hey,

I am the owner of a game development team, so I bet I could help out a little bit.

Minimum:

CPU
    -Dual core
    1. Intel Core 2 Duo
    2. AMD x2 series

RAM/Memory
    Stay with DDR2, going to DDR3 is almost obnoxious if you really don't know what your doing, if your just looking for raw power looks to put it somewhere else.

-4gb DDR2
    1. I like corsair the best, but fend for yourself

Video Card

-For Nvidia
    1. Stay with the '800 cards with both the 8 and 9 series, thats your bets bet
    i. 9800
    ii. 8800
    -For ATI
    1. About a month ago I would still recommend the 3870's but I'm not sure anymore. I would stick with the 4850 for best, don't spend all of your money on a 4870 cause their new cards are coming in q4

That was just a little bit from my mind, feel free to do what you want tho

Quote Originally Posted by knowledgegranted View Post
    Hey,

I am the owner of a game development team, so I bet I could help out a little bit.

Minimum:

CPU
    -Dual core
    1. Intel Core 2 Duo
    2. AMD x2 series

RAM/Memory
    Stay with DDR2, going to DDR3 is almost obnoxious if you really don't know what your doing, if your just looking for raw power looks to put it somewhere else.

-4gb DDR2
    1. I like corsair the best, but fend for yourself

Video Card

-For Nvidia
    1. Stay with the '800 cards with both the 8 and 9 series, thats your bets bet
    i. 9800
    ii. 8800
    -For ATI
    1. About a month ago I would still recommend the 3870's but I'm not sure anymore. I would stick with the 4850 for best, don't spend all of your money on a 4870 cause their new cards are coming in q4

That was just a little bit from my mind, feel free to do what you want tho

Hey Thanks Alot I Am An Aspiring Game Creator. Maybe You Could Send Me Some Tips Or What Not?
    Despite your intelligence, you’ll make a perfect soldier. Save the good ones for Harvard, and send the rest to die.

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Depends what you are doing while a 9800 or something might be good for playing games and developing code. If you want to render 3d graphics you will need real beefy cpu and a Quadro FX card if you are doing professional stuff.
    Need a sig

@simon275

There are many reasons why I, myself, do not use a workstation card in my main pc. If you were to compare it against a regular card(aka Gamer card), for gaming and simple render the Gamer card outperforms the workstation card in every manor. Gamers' cards driver optimize speed, they are even clocked higher to pump out more FPS on your favorite games and focus energy on direct3d applications.

Likewise, workstation cards are clocked at slower speeds to keep stability (don't want crashing or anything while your working do you?) they are optimized to run opengl applications and usually have plug-ins for 3d applications such as 3dsmax or maya.

The Reason why I would not recommend a workstation card, people who have a workstation computer also carry a gamers computer. To test games, and still game is just ridiculous on a workstation card. Expect low performance, but if you have a gamer's card for double taking as working + gaming you will find yourself to be in great shape. A couple advantages that Workstation cards have is their drivers and software packages.

Precision is a critical factor when rendering high quality antialiased images-for both line and full-scene antialiasing (FSAA). The NVIDIA Quadro FX architecture accelerates antialiased points and lines in hardware, and supports up to 16X FSAA. And unlike other competitive hardware, NVIDIA Quadro FX products drive FSAA up to a phenomenal 3840x2400 resolution.

@walterbieber

Hey Definitely man, I would love to spend some time to help you out in anyway I can. What specifically are you going to be doing?

Two ways of contacting me:

MSN: knowledgegranted@live.com
    E-mail: james.atchue@gamerzrevolution.net

Feel free to contact me at anytime!

Carpe Apenodytes halcyonforever's Avatar

Valve, through their Steam content delivery tool have a fantastic tool that keeps up on the gaming hardware in use by their players. This is a great resource for building that second testing PC. Because while you need insanely fast to assist with development, it still has to be usable. Here is a link to the breakdown of users hardware that you would see people playing your games with.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/