Thread: 1st Mod Project

Anodized

Default 1st Mod Project

Im thinking of modding a side panel of my current case and as this is my first project im after some hints and tips concerning cutting tools, ways of mounting acrylic or ways to attach it to the side panel, size of holes/slots for air-intake for case fans and anything else that might come in handy thanks.
    "FALLOUT 3, WE SHAL NOT FORGET!!" - Ethan Ctrl-Alt-Del, webcomic

Anodized

Default Re: 1st Mod Project

okei, done some more thinking on what i would like the side panel to look like, had a look around at some of the forums here & what other people had done and decided that ill hopefully do something like the case here... http://www.xoxide.com/x-static-2-black.html ...but replacing the X with a + with the fan in the middle. probly a 120mm fan with acrylic windows, and hopefuilly ill put in some lighting provided from LEDs to light it all up.

what kinda tools would i need to cut out the windows in a steel side panel? lol first project ill need ya help guys

Anodized

heh. im up to cutting the side of mine 2 in my first mod.

I started by drawing the design to how i wanted it on the case, neatly of coarse. Then starting drilling a hole with the biggest drill bit i could find.

You can use a range of things to cut out the panel:
    Hacksaw
    Router
    JigSaw (i think, not too sure if it cuts metal, never used 1)

I'll let u know what i use when i do it, i'll have to get dad to help a bit on the side panel. (im 16 n wanna know how 2 do it for later)

Hope it all goes well for you. sounds like a great mod.

Anodized

lol same here, i need to get ma dad or someone to help, im only 15 and im getting bored of the current plain beige case. also its gettin too hot so ill put in a 120mm fan in the centre of my design for better air intake.

This is my Design, im gunna put a fan in the middle where the green stuff is (drew the pic with FlashMX). First drew mobo underneath so thats whats showing in the centre.

Anodized

Latest update with the first modding:

thinking of putting Gorillaz kinda theme on the case, with the members pics on the windows. i can get the pics of them just straight from the demon days album cover but i need some idea of how it would be best to actually get the pics onto the acrylic for the windows. any help would be apreciated . thx

Anodized

Jigsaw works great on cutting cases. Especially one with straight lines. Just make sure the blade is for cutting metal. The higher the TPI (teeth per inch) the better. WEAR GOGGLES.
    Shema Yisrael Adonai Eloheinu Adonai Echad

Anodized

I saw this Gorillaz themed case and got inspired to do one of my own, on the windows im planning to cut out ill somehow get these images onto them and light the background up.

heres the link to the case that someone made, its just amazing work, especially for a Gorillaz fan like myself:p

http://www.gruntville.com/phpBB2/vie...=asc&start=120

How could I get the images onto the acrylic retaining maximum detail??

Want super advice on how to cut and work with different materials and do it in a FREE work shop?? Go to your local home depot and see what they have on the schedule and just apply the new info to your computer...

You can usually get into a small group learing how to cut shapes from wood. Same principle works on metal. Just make sure you use the right tool for the job. And always protect yourself.

Also, don't be afraid of the elderly that show up to those things, they might have a hot grand daughter or neice or other relative you can get in with... wink wink.
    "...angel headed hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of the night..." Allen Ginsberg 1926-1997

Anodized

lol great advice there exept there aint any home depot in Australia. im guesing its similar to a Bunnings or Mitre 10... a hardware store right?