Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: Project : BossFX-57

Default Re: Project : BossFX-57

prototype built out of alum with the bending station that I built earlier:

Here is the cut sheet loaded into the bender:

After bending it into submission:

I also disected a UV meteor light. Removed the acrylic tube and the acrylic cube ends, so that I only have the little LED strip. I plan on using this in the machine, but it will actually be burried in the side next to the 5.25 bays, but firing out into some UV reactive acrylic that I plan on having a little light show with...

Wondering "Why?" I would want to pull out the guts of a metor light?

This is why....
    Active lighting
    More Active lighting...

I plan on embedding this effect next to the 5.25 bays, long ways down the side. The UV LED's will be firing into the side of the Orange acrylic and the effect will be seen on the inside of the case!!! And I have not even polished the edges yet! This is the straight acrylic and the effect is much more noticable in my garage than in the capture of the camera.

To quote Stimpy... "Joooyyyyyeeeeeee!!!"

Too tired to post pics, but here is what I did tonight:
    1) Foamed the hood scoop. tomorrow I'll cut it down and add in more foam in the low places.
    2) Took my CoolDrive3 that I bought (older model drive cooler, and it looks kida retro too!), removed the blue LED's and replaced them with White. Now there is a nice even white glow that matches the fans, that emenates to the edges from the front center.
    3) repainted the fan exhaust port on the mobo. Remember it used to be a optic green arcylic. Now, it is a gloss black, and the power lead is sleeved.

Foam is drying, and my eyes are trying to close...

Oooo
    I wanna see how that foam stuff works out, and how the shaping of it goes. Keep up the good work!

I once used Great Stuff foam to fix a cannon ball sized hole that my college roomate kicked(doing a ninja wall jump and missing the door frame....still can't get an explanation on why) in our wall....filled the hole in with foam...shaved it down...sanded flat....got matching paint....painted over it....and the thing was invisible....couldn't tell the wall was dmged EVER...looked way better than a drywall patch

Sounds awesome... i'll have to see if i can get any in stores around here.

I must remember that trick XD

Picture update from last night...
    not much text, as I need to get out into the garage and shave the scoop into shape!

Painted the fan shroud from UV reactive green to a gloss black, and sleeved the power cable:

Seems that we have had this discussion once before... and because of our debate, I was able to locate these bad boys for less than Radio Shack!!!

The CoolDrive started blue:

and changed to white:

And I have a whole slew of gross jokes and commentary on "what" this looks like... let's keep it clean folks... ok?

It has hardened today, solid foam (*tap* tap*, *thud* *thud*...) so I'm stepping out to cut it down now! Hopefully there will be some cool pics forthcoming tonight!

Yeah, it aint the cleanest stuff... but I sure do like what I am getting right now!

I just spent about 30 minutes shearing off the crap, and fleshing out the basic form of the hood scoop. I did one side flush with the edge, and the other side like a traditional hood scoop. I'm likeing the flush side the more I look at it.

I have a big, freakin HYOOJ air pocket that was in the middle of this foam, so I have touchup to do tonight to fill in that spot, then run another bead on the side that I stripped to make it perpendicular to the surface.

Here are some quick pics:

Looked a bit like a turkey here...

Started with the coping saw and sheared off the top:

This is not half of the mess I made, lots more in the trash bag to my left (not in the pic):

Starting to take shape, and I'm figuring how bad the air pocket was... ugh...

This is a decent view of the side that I sheared to make perpendicular to the surface of the case:

This is a shot to try and show the "flush side". This is the style that I am leaning towards.

A few top shots to show the general shape and orientation:

I could not be happier with the initial results. Only thing draging it down is the mondo air pocket.

Headed back out into the garage!!!

Heheheh... I just think it is a great accessory! (and I do think it's kinda purdy too! )

This will be positioned over the cpu fan, mounted on the fan grill... at least... that is what I'm thinking!