Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Project : BossFX-57

Default Re: Project : BossFX-57

Thanks Hasbois!

And something that just happened:
    http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_rotm_march06.html

Woot! Gotta T-shirt and bragging rights!

ATX Mental Case

nice...

Good on you TD!

Overclocked

They know imagination and style when they see it. WTG!

Fresh Paint

Great build... Awesome!!!

but.. I hate that word... not trynig to beat a horse here (har har).. but the hood scoop doesnt seem to fit in correctly with the theme.

2 things caught my eye about it.

1 - I swear most boss's with hood scoops the scoop is black. Maybe a result of the hood stripe, but still, it caught my eye.

2 - Your scoop's ending form seems too rounded, like the scoop off a modern car not an early mustang.

here are some pics...
    http://www.mustangsource.com/Wallpap...ss302_1024.jpg

AHHH ha found really good site with hood scoop/shaker pics...
    http://www.fordramair.com/products/boss_302_pics.htm

But I swear there was both a shaker and a version that was a pure scoop.... hmmmm more research is needed... Regardless I love your mod!

Fresh Paint

I was right there is also a scoop version.. Here is apic of the scoop as a part.

from..

Linkie

Love it regardless of the scoop.

And another.. http://johnsmustang.com/Catalog/493/

Quote Originally Posted by Thallion
    1 - I swear most boss's with hood scoops the scoop is black. Maybe a result of the hood stripe, but still, it caught my eye.
    First off, thank you for replying to the thread! I always like talking about this, especially when it involves design decisions!

I'm not a Boss afficienado (spelling?), so I won't feign complete knowledge of the painting schemes. But what all I had seen, you are right about the scoops being black. Ive seen them with either the entire hood matte black, or the black of the center stripe being continued on to the scoop. So, "yes", you are correct in the coloring of the scoop being off. I was actually considering continuing the "charcoal black" treatment that I had on the front, but if you notice, that stripe is too narrow for the scoop. Effectively, the black would not have been symetrical to the front. If I wanted to black the scoop, I would have had to black out the entire front of the bezel, which I did not want to do (for the sake of color diversity). Alternatively,just putting the stripe the same width as the front bezel strip did not look right either. So, ultimately, I left it as I thought it would look best on this machine. You are right though, it is not accurate with regards to proper color scheme and layout on the BOSS line. Nice catch!

Quote Originally Posted by Thallion
    2 - Your scoop's ending form seems too rounded, like the scoop off a modern car not an early mustang.
    Another good catch! The back taper of my scoop was my own decision, as well as the slight top rounding. The scoops you show I actually did consider (and they would have actually been easier), but I had this stubborn vision in my mind's eye, and like a splinter.. I could not get it out of my head until lafter I built it!

My initial mock ups of the scoop, I did not like the "ski slope effect" on the computer. Just a personal preference, so it was done with heavy influence from the Boss scoops that I did see, but in my own style.

I'm very glad you like the mod! Thanks for the enthusiasm!!

I left it as I thought it would look best on this machine
    and it does! don't ever change it pls!

HUGE Grats on the SLI rig of the month mate!!!!! awsome front page score and very well deserved

Fresh Paint

Yeah It might have been to rakish with a blockier scoop. And you're right the size of the scoop in relation to the top and black front strip precludes using that to recolor it as well. It's always a tough decision when you try to use something as a source and have to make decisons along the way as to what you will replicate in detail and what you jsut get a feel for. But thatis also what makes the creation all yours! which is the fun of modding. It is a great mod, and very well executed. Can you image it sitting next to a sit down dedicated race sim cockpit.. AWESOME!!!!

Thanks Thallion! Much appreciate your chiming in!

It's all about the details....
    I felt it necessary to pull out some of the little things left undone on BOSS, and here are two of the things I have picked up on to complete this weekend.

This was one of those little things that I did not do in the end... the chrome will be smoked with the MetalCast smoke that I used on the middle stripe, and the red color will be painted over with the OSHA orange. There is a little fan inside the unit, as well as a blue LED that I need to replace with a white one to keep it inline with the rest of the mod. Guess I could go orange on the LED too... might esperiment a bit on that route:

While I work on the case build out on DST, since I am out there... figured I'd quit slacking off and get these little ones worked out too!

Pulling that mouse apart was a PITA!!!!

The top over the IC is the blue LED that lights through the vents and the fan. That will be what I replace with a white or orange one.

6 screws holding the internals together.... cripes...

Finally... broken down:

These parts will be OSHA orange:

and these are with the first layer of smoke paint:

I plan on 2-3 more layers of paint on these parts.