Thread: Internet access problems....

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default Internet access problems....

Ok, I'm a Neanderthal. The only access options I have where I live are dialup or satellite. I've heard too many horror stories to try satellite for the cost, so I use PeoplePC, and have for many years. I stopped using their software to dial in several years ago because I hated it and found it too intrusive. I set up a manual network connection through Windows XP that dials into their local access numbers. This works great and always has.

Lately, I've been having problems, I keep getting this error out of the blue when I'm online:

'Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.'

When it happens I can't do anything online. It doesn't close the connection, but when I try to go anywhere or even refresh the page I was on, it acts like I'm not connected. But it still ties up my phone line? In fact, I can't even manually disconnect through the network icon in the system tray like I normally do. The only way I've found that I can get back online once this comes up is a complete reboot. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it, but it's definitely happening more often than it used to.

This error message is completely foreign to me, and I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this. Is it on my end, their end, or in between somewhere? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!!

-- blue
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Default Re: Internet access problems....

System restore or a clean install of windows?
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

OK...i checked the MS website and it seems like your not alone in this. There has been enough problems that MS has actually made a patch for it! heres the link and i hope that it helps you out! http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894391
    Not all who mod are modders...

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

My parents' old computer would get that all the time. I think it told me to download that patch.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Very helpful, Grizzly, thanks! +rep

I wonder if this is addressed in sp3? I have yet to install that...
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”