Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Running / excercise shoes?

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Default Good Running / excercise shoes?

First some back ground on me.

I am 6'2" weighed in at 287lbs this morning at the gym. I have acquired the services of a trainer 2 days a week. He told me today to go and buy a good pair of running shoes as I will be spending a good bit of time jogging and running. My goal weight is 195-205 lbs. I played football in high school and inter mural sports in college but since graduating almost 2 years ago I have lost most of my muscle mass and it has been replaced with fat. While I am embarrassed of how I have let myself go I know that with some hard work I will get back to what I used to be.

So what I need to know is what is a good shoe to work out in? I have always heard that New balance's are top notch but I have also heard that nothing beats Nike's running shoe line. So can anyone offer me some advice on what shoes to get?

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Default Re: Good Running / excercise shoes?

Well im no Ted bundy.

but here is this random women to help you out?

New Balance. I always thought their shoes were crap until they issued them to us in boot camp.

ATX Mental Case theshoeshineman's Avatar

If you take a look at what brands most tennis players wear this should give you a good indication.

Tennis players RELY on good shoes as they need to run, stop and change directions very quickly with minimal risk of injury. Good reliable shoes are vital!

Addidas, New Balance or Reebok have typically been the most popular brands here.

Also the rolling in and rolling out when you walk as that lady mentioned is important but hard to tell by yourself.

The build quality of Nike shoes seem to be good and they last, but they make too many elaberate shoe designs in the name of "fashion" that kinda destroy their image for me.
    Visit my website: http://djcassar.com
    Scratch build: The Cube
    Sure we would all love "real friends", but honestly whats the chances of that happening?

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theshoeshineman View Post
    If you take a look at what brands most tennis players wear this should give you a good indication.

Tennis players RELY on good shoes as they need to run, stop and change directions very quickly with minimal risk of injury. Good reliable shoes are vital!

Addidas, New Balance or Reebok have typically been the most popular brands here.

Also the rolling in and rolling out when you walk as that lady mentioned is important but hard to tell by yourself.

The build quality of Nike shoes seem to be good and they last, but they make too many elaberate shoe designs in the name of "fashion" that kinda destroy their image for me.

See one time i bought a pair of 75$ nikes. I got them wet and they fell apart.

Yeah havent bought a pair of nikes in the last decade never will again after witnessing my shoes fall apart around my feet.

you should go to a good shoe store and have someone measure your feet. Picking a pair of shoes isnt just length, you need to pick the ones that are the right width too. That helps provide proper support. I always suggest a gel shoe since they have always been the most comfortable for me. your feet almost roll on the surface instead of slamming on it. But I always have a hard time finding a good pair of shoes since I have wide feet. The current pair I have is a brand called Asics, cheap but are very comfortable for me even after a few miles on pavement.

Click here for the Battlefield 2 L.A.N. Pc worklog.

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

all of the shoe stores around here are run by highschool kids who know nothing about propper shoes. I went into foot locker yesterday and they kind behind the counter suggested that I get a pair of Nike Air Force Ones because they were whats hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneslowz28 View Post
    all of the shoe stores around here are run by highschool kids who know nothing about propper shoes. I went into foot locker yesterday and they kind behind the counter suggested that I get a pair of Nike Air Force Ones because they were whats hot.
    lol, i take two rules in with me when buying running shoes. Dont look at the looks and dont look at the price tag. Those two things could turn you away from the right pair.

Your best bet may be to just start trying on a pair from every brand. Then find a brand that is comfortable and start trying on every shoe they make. Usually each brand follows a similar pattern for the inside but you cant be to careful with your feet and knees. Dont just stand in them, lace them up and walk around in them. Roll you feet and trying putting as much pressure as you can on one foot to see if they are still comfortable. Heck, run around the store if they will let you.

http://www.therunningadvisor.com/running_shoes.html
    http://www.mcghealth.org/news/press_...5/7_11_05.html

-Dan

Click here for the Battlefield 2 L.A.N. Pc worklog.

Google Clydesdale running shoes

I have wide feet and run on the outside of my soles so I favor new balance 991s. Never had much luck with Nike.

http://running.about.com/od/shoesapp.../foottypes.htm

Go to a Running/cross training store, such as Gear West where the sales people are avid runners and can fit you properly. It will cost more than buying shoes online or at Sports Authority but you are really paying for a proper shoe fitting (can always keep buying the same model and size afterwords).

I run with ASICS GT2120 shoes, but nike, adidas and others are good shoes. The most important thing is to get proper fitting shoes, and to get a new pair every 6 months or 200 miles, which ever comes first (otherwise they wear out and then put more stress on your knees). In high school ASICS and nike were the two most popular brands (ironically, nike used to be just an importer of ASICS), but really don't focus on the brand, focus on the shoe and its fit.

The links danthegeek provided are pretty good and will help you understand many of the different foot classifications.