Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Building an HTPC or hack up a pc?

Custom Title Honors

Default Re: Building an HTPC or hack up a pc?

Since I didn't want to double post.

What do you guys think of the hardware in my sig for playing Blu-ray when this happens? I still need a better tv, but for now it would be played through component on our rear projection tv, or through DVI on our bedroom tv.

Being that it would be an htpc, I would upgrade the HD's to something larger (1TBs probably since they are so cheap now, and who knows what will be out when this happens).

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

ATX Mental Case

I would bump up the ram to 4 gb, but otherwise it looks ok to me.
    Whatever can light up, should light up brightly and in many different colors.

Custom Title Honors

That memory kit is 100 or less now to so that wouldn't be a problem.

Is there a preferred OS to run on them? I was just thinking XP or Windows Media.

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

If the computer is capable of running it, vista is nice.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Custom Title Honors

Would Vista provide any benefits over XP or Media Center? (Other then using more resources which really is a negative). I run XP with a full Vista Theme on it now, which probably takes more resources then the actual OS does and it runs fine. Even with just 2GB in it, I almost never see it under 1.2GB Free. I know Vista supports DX10 but would that even improve movie quality? I know it is more towards gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    Would Vista provide any benefits over XP or Media Center? (Other then using more resources which really is a negative). I run XP with a full Vista Theme on it now, which probably takes more resources then the actual OS does and it runs fine. Even with just 2GB in it, I almost never see it under 1.2GB Free. I know Vista supports DX10 but would that even improve movie quality? I know it is more towards gaming.
    The eye candy. 64 bit (can't get that with media center). Will be supported longer. media center edition, I've heard has a specific list of hardware that is compatible with it.
    Help my mini city
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.

Custom Title Honors

What about XP 64? I don't know that I want to spend all the money on Vista OS when Windows 7 is coming out, not to far down the road.

on newegg
    Media Center- $115
    XP 64- $140
    Vista Home Basic 64- $90
    Vista Business 64- $140
    Vista Ultimate 64- $180

After looking at that, should I just wait to upgrade the OS and just run XP 32? It won't cost me extra. To get the eye candy at least they have full Vista themes that include Aero and the side bar with tons of options. I'm not trying to make an excuse not to get vista, but just looking for cost. I could put the 180 towards the ram and hd's or material for the HTPC. That could also buy the touch screen! lol Media Center is definitely out though. I thought it would have been cheaper.

Thanks for all the help.

What about XP 64? I don't know that I want to spend all the money on Vista OS when Windows 7 is coming out, not to far down the road.

on newegg
    Media Center- $115
    XP 64- $140
    Vista Home Basic 64- $90
    Vista Business 64- $140
    Vista Ultimate 64- $180

After looking at that, should I just wait to upgrade the OS and just run XP 32? It won't cost me extra. To get the eye candy at least they have full Vista themes that include Aero and the side bar with tons of options. I'm not trying to make an excuse not to get vista, but just looking for cost. I could put the 180 towards the ram and hd's or material for the HTPC. That could also buy the touch screen! lol Media Center is definitely out though. I thought it would have been cheaper.

Thanks for all the help.
    It might be good to wait until windows 7 is released before you buy, or at least until microsoft starts offering the free upgrade to 7 when it's released if you buy Vista now deal. You should also buy OEM; you'll save some money. PM me about a copy of vista ultimate x64 if you want one now.
    Help my mini city

Custom Title Honors

The prices I listed were for OEM copies. Screw it, i'll buy this! Win98 Second Full Edition hahah or save some more on Windows 95 Full Edition lol

The prices I listed were for OEM copies. Screw it, i'll buy this! Win98 Second Full Edition hahah or save some more on Windows 95 Full Edition lol
    lol. Newegg and some other retails had a $50 rebate when you buy an OEM copy of vista ultimate with a piece of hardware. Some also had a $10 off combo deal. If you want Win 98, I'll just give you my key. I don't need my copy of vista ultimate, so I'm not looking to get $180 out of it.
    Help my mini city