6 46.15%
  • Samsung 50" Plasma

2 15.38%
  • Samsung 61" DLP

1 7.69%
  • Vizio 55" LCD

4 30.77%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for help from the community.

Default Looking for help from the community.

I recently got the go ahead from the boss to get a new TV with some of our tax money. I've narrowed it down to 4 TV's and I need your help to solve my dilemna. I will try to post links to the places where info is. To keep this computer related and to keep it from getting deleted, I will tell you now that this new TV will be integrated with a home media server/(I have a big TV I think I'll hook up my computer and play a video game from my pc). Without further ado here are the TV's I narrowed my choices too:

1. Samsung LN52A750 - 52" ToC LCD Link to samsung site

There are a few things I like about this set. The integrated RSS feeds is a nice feature in case my couch has a firm grip on me and I need news! Plus it already has an Ethernet port to connect to a network. It's probably the best TV out there at the moment, but for a cost of 2299 at best buy(last weekend) Im stuck on paying that price.

2. Samsung PN50A530 - 50" Plasma Link to Samsung site

I've seen this one in action, and while have never been a big fan of plasma TV's this TV looked great and its price hovered around 1300.00

3. Vizio VF550XVT - 55" Class LCD FHDTV - Vizios product site

Now this TV is probably my top choice at the moment. It has most of the features of a samsung minus the RSS feed. It doesnt however have the ability to connect to a network. But it does have 5 HDMI inputs(what?). It has the 120 HZ refresh rate as well. Havent been able to find one yet, and its only sold at Costco, Sams Club and BJ's(which Ive never even heard of). Price 1547-1999.

4. Samsung HL61A750 - 61" DLP TV Samsungs Product Link

This was the original TV I was going to get when we got our taxes back, but I found out a few days ago that Samsung has Discontinued all DLP manufacturing. The difference between this and say a Mitsubishi DLP tv is the light engine, it boasts a new LED backlight engine that is suppose to last 60,000 hours plus. Problem is that Samsung isnt going to support the tv anymore and at a modulating price of 1400-1900 Im not sure if this would be worth it.

+rep to anyone who leaves an honest opinion and helps me decide which one to get.

Ive also added a poll to the thread to help me keep better track. I think Im at the point that I will let you guys decide which TV I get.
    Last edited by Okele; 01-25-2009 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Poll added

Default Re: Looking for help from the community.

I would go with the top one naturally, because it consumes less power and has a clear picture. I know someone that owns that TV, and they are pleased with it. I also like the kickass border too.
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    I would go with the top one naturally, because it consumes less power and has a clear picture. I know someone that owns that TV, and they are pleased with it. I also like the kickass border too.
    I concur. Go with the Samsung LCD. they are nice!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

My Vote: Samsung LN52A750 - 52" ToC LCD

Samsung HL61A750 - 61" DLP TV

That giant 61" DLP is nice, because its 61"! But its a DLP, which aren't known to make people all that happy sometimes. First off, when the bulbs go out, they cost quite a bit to get replaced. Second, the picture quality isn't as good as other TV types (Plasma and LCD). Finally, the specs on the product page are kind of low and weird. (what? no back panel ports? just side panel? huh? weird.)

So I crossed out that option. Its cheap for being so big for a reason!

Vizio VF550XVT - 55" Class LCD FHDTV

This would be my second choice. I've looked around online and people seem to be pretty excited about it, but no one seems to either have it or have really reviewed it. But it seems like a pretty nice TV from what I can tell.

But I didn't pick it because I'm more of a Samsung fan than I am of a brand I've never heard of before. Although it supposedly uses a Samsung display.

Samsung PN50A530 - 50" Plasma

My father owns a Plasma and I'm kind of impartial to it. Plasma technology is pretty good in theory, but quality is all over the place, so stick with the trusted brands when it comes to Plasma displays.

Anyways, some of the reasons why I don't like Plasma;
    • Possibility of a "burn-in"
    • They aren't as bright as LCD's
    • They have a pretty short life expectancy
    • They will lose some of their brilliance (or a lot depending on the brand/quality) within the first year and a bit more in the following years. I can personally attest for this because I've seen it first hand. Even my father agrees that its not as bright and crisp as when he first bought it, but he also says that he can't complain because they are a pretty good deal, which I also agree with. At half the cost of LCD, if you need it cheap, then plasma is the way to go I suppose.

They also don't make very good computer displays in case you are interested in that. If you want to use it as a computer display, stick with LCD. I'd rather use my 17" POS Dell LCD than my dads 42" Plasma.

There is a reason why Plasma is pretty cheap, keep that in mind!

Samsung LN52A750 - 52" ToC

Pretty good specs, plenty of ports, and a decent display size. It has also recieved great reviews on Amazon AND its only two thousand dollars, the same price as the Vizio (from product page).

The more I read about this monitor the more I like it! I can't really find any negatives, although it seems some people prefer the 650 over the 750 because the 650 doesn't have that reflective bezel and is otherwise basically the same aside from no subwoofer.

Anyways, this one is pretty much a sure thing and is definitely the best choice. Probably why it costs more than other displays, good things are never cheap you know! If you want the best, you must invest!

Here is a pretty good review. (The fact that it even has a review says something about it.)
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

I got rid of my floppy disks Xpirate's Avatar

I have the Samsung LN52A550. It is really nice. The only thing I do not like about it is the way it plays kind of a loud tune when you turn it on and off. Everything else about it is really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Xpirate View Post
    I have the Samsung LN52A550. It is really nice. The only thing I do not like about it is the way it plays kind of a loud tune when you turn it on and off. Everything else about it is really nice.
    i would suspect that you can turn that tune off in the settings somewhere. You certainly can with my 32" Samsung (forget the model number atm). It kinda sounds like something off Mario land or summit on the good ol' gameboy! lol.

Anyway, if I had the money I'd go for the top one as well, it looks like a damn good tv and all the options it comes with (input wise) sound pretty good and lets face it, it's gonna look pretty sweet on anyones wall fs!

Please also bear in mind that I'm a samsung fan in general, love their sleek designs and quality of products (in general ofc).

Psh, forget all of those! I have your winner right here...

x4 the resolution of 1080p at 8 million pixels!
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

the 50" samsung plasma gets my vote, only because my bro has one and i can attest to the quality loss in the two years he has had it due to it being plasma, but even still the overall quality shouldn't be sniffed at.

and at that price its a good deal.

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

I got rid of my floppy disks Xpirate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VitzĄ^ View Post
    i would suspect that you can turn that tune off in the settings somewhere. You certainly can with my 32" Samsung (forget the model number atm). It kinda sounds like something off Mario land or summit on the good ol' gameboy! lol.
    I found the answer on-line: setup/ External setting / melody on/off
    Now I can't wait to go home and try it out. (+rep VitzĄ^)

I chose the LCD over the Plasma because the LCD uses less energy. My wife and child run the TV almost every waking hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Okele View Post
    3. Vizio VF550XVT - 55" Class LCD FHDTV - Price 1547-1999.
    Didn't see the price range the first time, just saw $1999. In my opinion, if you can get the Vizio for $1500 then snatch up that deal asap!

Its about as close to being on par with the "Samsung LN52A750 - 52" ToC" as you can get, especially since I believe I read somewhere that they use Samsung displays. But hell, at a quarter of the price cheaper than the Samsung, thats a pretty great deal. And if that Plasma is only $1300, then definitely pay the extra $200 to get the LCD Vizio! Usually the price difference of Plasma vs LCD is at least $500 more for LCD (example: $1500 Plasma vs $2000 LCD for same screen size).

Like I said, if you can get the Vizio for $1500, then as far as I'm concerned there is really no comparison here. Thats just too good of a deal for such minor differences between it and the Samsung w/ TOC (touch of color - the bit of clear red around the edges for that extra nice touch).

Quote Originally Posted by Xpirate View Post
    I chose the LCD over the Plasma because the LCD uses less energy. My wife and child run the TV almost every waking hour.
    Hey thats right, thanks for reminding me about something...

Thats another thing I don't like about Plasma's, they eat up a bit more juice than LCD's do.

Vizio LCD = 244W

Samsung LCD = 290W (50w more than Vizio but with a smaller screen? weird lol)

Samsung Plasma = 540W (yikes)