A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

Default Re: mightyMite

how you know where i live :0 looks around nervously...... lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

BLAGREH!!!!

So after two weeks, I finally got time to work on my mod today (or rather, on the metal brake I need to continue my mod) and just ~10 minutes into it, my dremel suddenly dies! GAH! Motor just went kablewi and started smoking...
    Here's hoping Dremel has good customer support...though I really don't want to spend a long time waiting for shipping/repairs/shipping...grrrrr....
    Does anyone know of anything currently available along the lines of this little gem? If the motor isn't covered under the warranty (or even possibly if it is) I think I'll want to try and get (or build) something a little tougher, and that seems like it would have been a great solution because ever since I got my flexshaft attachment, it hasn't left my dremel.

On happier topics, I got the PSU I'll be using for the mod; a PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500:

It was on sale for ~60% off (after rebate) plus I got a free 4GB flash drive

I also learned the hard way that you can apparently get female as well as male adapters for slimline ODDs.... But after ordering the wrong one from Newegg, deciding it wasn't worth the cost of shipping it back, and finding out Newegg doesn't carry male adapters, I finally got what I need from cpustuff.com:

The tiny SATA cable next to it is a 4" cable for the HDD...I had been thinking I might want something even shorter, but after seeing it...no, no, 4" is pretty freakin short.
    For scale:

Also, this is the metal brake as it currently stands:

I got inspiration for the design from FrooP here, and yeah, I know, I need to flip the hinges over....I was in the process of doing that when the magic smoke left.

re: DonT-FeaR and nevermind1534, I checked the USPS pricing, and that might actually be worth the shipping. PM me and we can work something out.

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Well when the variable speed on my Dremel died they fixed it without question .They will fix the motor if it wasn't abuse of poor care that killed it. They recommend you clean the Dremel after every use such as blowing metal shards out of it and generally keep up the maintenance. Most likely a metal shard got stuck in the motor and burnt it out, happened to my older Dremel rip off, cooling blades melted and all.

If you are looking to get that other rotary tool you may be out of luck. That page you linked to says they are out of production and sold out.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Yeah, it seems to have been quite a while since they stopped making it. I'm considering this. Anyone have any experience with that company? I hadn't heard that before about cleaning it after every use, though it certainly makes sense. It would be a bit odd though, if that was the problem, since I've actually never used the thing without the flexshaft attachment, so it always hangs up about 8 feet off the floor.

update:
    Well, it looks like Dremel's gonna fix mine for me, but after this, and considering how much metal cutting I've been doing with it recently..and how light a hand I've had to use with it at times... I decided that it just wasn't quite powerful enough for my needs. I finally remembered where I originally saw the kind of tool that I want. The company is called Foredom. Unfortunately, their products are quite expensive, so I got this instead. Hopefully it should get here sometime next week and I can get back to modding. In the mean time....idk, I might start working on my plans for the fileserver I want to build

update:
    YAY! New not-a-dremel-thingy got here today! I couldn't find any reviews of it online anywhere, so I made one here.

update:
    ...I am not having good luck with tools these days... The dremel-on-steroids is doing just fine, but I completely forgot to think of the torque that this thing would put out. Long story short, if you get something like this, do NOT use Dremel cut-off wheels. I was able to use the fiberglass reinforced wheels just fine, until the screw broke. Yeah, that's right, I hit a snag in the metal and the screw that holds cutting wheels on the attachment broke. Sheared right in half. So, yeah, I'm gonna have to find some new wheels to use with this thing.

Wow, it's been a while, but I promise; I'm not dead :p

First off, I gotta say, Dremel support is pretty awesome. After getting the shipping info for my 400, I decided to try with my 300 that I have no receipt for. And guess what? They replaced both of them with no questions. Yay for companies that actually have good customer support

Back on topic, I finally got some time to work on my mod today, and I finally got the metal brake done.... unfortunately, it bends itself...needs some modifications before it'll really be useful. That aside, I came up with a better idea for the ODD mount. My previous design was basically to have a whole wrap-around thing that the ODD would sit in, but now that I can't bend large sheets, I got this idea:

I've also got the PSU mount modified to fit my new PSU, and I just ordered the rest of the materials for my water cooling setup. The last few weeks I've been really busy, but the night class I'm taking is off for the week and only has one week left, and the college courses I'm taking are over in a couple weeks, so soon I should have more time to work on modding now I'll post more as I make more progress.

Glad to see you are making some progress.

I finally settled on a design for the top vents/side (side design affects how the top vents would be). I decided to go with the stock method for securing the side panel, so I couldn't cut the ideal full circles in the top panel, but I think I got enough out that airflow shouldn't be too impeded, especially since it's also flowing through the rads.
    holes:

holes with spring thingy that holds the side one:

Now structural stuff is almost done; aesthetic, I'm not sure about yet, so main stuff left is the wiring. I have all the parts I need on order with the possible exception of a right-angle connector or two for the GPU water block (I'm hoping I won't need them), so I'm hoping to have everything with the possible exception of the shell (aesthetics) done by this time next week.

Everything's come in now, so it's all just waiting for me to finish the mod, and then it can all get installed! I'm forcing myself to not install anything in the old case...if I want to use it, I have to finish the mod...at least the structural and electrical portions.

Happy fun pile of awesome!

And, let's see...what exactly is the most awesome little nugget in there (or rather, nuggets)? What have we here...

I fought with myself long and hard over this, but in the end, my techno-lust won out over my tax refund, and I decided on these. (So, for those of you who have been following this log for a while...I suppose I lied about not putting SSDs in this build )

post-unboxing shot:

Now I just have to make the HDD mount, paint, and do the wiring....thankfully I don't have much going on tomorrow.

More to come soon.

Nice gear especially the SSDs.

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

wow.. those ssds would have set you back a bit!

yeah nice idea about not using anything until ur mods done,,
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!