Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: mightyMite

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: mightyMite

Ok, yeah, yeah, it's coming up on two weeks....oh well, better to do it right than quick, right?

I've been working on the wiring the last few days, so I'm getting closer. I gotta say; I'd never used heatshrink tubing before, but I LOVE IT! It makes insulating connections soooo much easier, and lets me do much smaller, more streamlined connections. Like so:

I decided to route my ATX connector through two sleeves because it gives me more flexibility with routing the cables (ok, so initially it was because all 24 wires wouldn't fit through the sleeving I have, but it worked out well).

ATX connector done:

and in place:

I got one of the PCI-E power lines done today, and started on the second one, but I ran out of the narrow heatshrink tubing *kicks self for not getting more*. So tomorrow I'll head off to Ace and pick up more tubing...stupidly overpriced there, but I'm not gonna wait for delivery, I want to get this thing running this weekend. Once I get the wiring done, I'll finally be able to run the tubing, and I want to run the loop without the majority of the hardware in there for at least 12 hours. If it's not raining tomorrow, I'll be disassembling the whole thing again and throwing a few coats of paint on the frame.

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

very cool..
    im in the process of doing something similar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Never seen a duel sleeved 24pin ATX cable before lol, epic. +rep
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Bleargth... stuff taking way more time than I thought it would... Oh well, my finals were last week, and I've got a 3-day weekend next weekend, so I'm hoping to have it done by next Monday at the very latest.

I got more wiring done, I got the PCI-E power set; also a little unique setup:

My new motherboard has some pretty weird power requirements; it needs a separate power connection for each PCI-E x16 slot, and I don't want to have to add any wiring later, and the Xonar needs a separate power connection, so...weird funky wiring it is:

close-up:

I also got the res mount done, though the more I complete of this mod, the more I realize how much of a pain it's going to be to actually assemble...mainly, getting the video card and the water loop in at the same time..

BTW the power on the PCI-e slots is only if you are running SLI, otherwise they arent necessary. The sleeving does look good though.

Quote Originally Posted by The boy 4rm oz View Post
    BTW the power on the PCI-e slots is only if you are running SLI, otherwise they arent necessary. The sleeving does look good though.
    DFI recommends in the manual that power be provided to each x16 slot that there is a card in, and even if it's not needed, it won't hurt

Hmm, that's strange. In my DFI manual it says that the power connector isn't required but it is recommended for SLI use lol. They must have changed their thinking. Are they still using floppy drive power connectors to supply the power? That is a major fail. I would prefer 3pin or Molex myself.

Yup, still using those horrid floppy connectors. I remember my old AGP X800XT AIW had a floppy connector, and after a couple years of use it was getting a lot looser than I was realy comfortable with...though it took a bit of persuasion to get it off each time, a bit like on my Xonar. But on the MBB, the connectors seem to have hit a good balance of secure but not so secure you have to pry them off.

Wow, I had been considering not painting any of the metal (to save time, get the mod done faster, and thus get to use my hardware sooner) because almost none of it is actually going to be visible, but in keeping with my work with the wiring, I decided I would rather do it right than fast, so I picking up some automotive primer today and got to work. ..and I gotta say, it looks niiiiice. Even with just the primer, the paint really transformed the case. No pics yet because it's dark, but when I bring the pieces inside later, I'll get some. I also slimmed down the HDD/SSD mount, enlarged the foot holes to accommodate the new feet I got a couple weeks ago, and I made this..

Any guesses (and no, it's not a fill port)

EDIT:
    whoops, just realized I never posted a pic of my res mount. here we go:

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

its a key lock... to either... stop people opening the side pannels... or to power it up
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!