Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: mightyMite

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: mightyMite

Well, I got home today and what do I see, but an unexpectedly early package from Oregon. Yay new parts

As you can see, it's a really tight fit, but they do fit, though it turns out the brace I made was a bit too big (I should have realized that sooner, but oh well, not a huge problem).

A little cutting/filing later, I had a revised brace:

That's all for today because I've got a big pile of homework I've kinda been ignoring for a few days, that hasn't magically gone away (funny thing about that). But yesterday I cut/filed/sanded out a panel to bend into the ODD mount (no pic, just picture a smallish rectangular sheet of 1mm steel). Turns out the vise I've been using isn't quite wide enough... *ponders building a metal brake*

EDIT:
    (ok, so I lied about that being it for today >_> )

Back to thinking about my loop, I was thinking... (Please, correct me anywhere if my thinking/facts are wrong) IIRC, reservoirs serve three main purposes, to facilitate filling the loop, to hold extra liquid in the loop, and to give that liquid a little extra time to cool, before entering the loop again. I would think that the last function would be minimal, considering what I know of thermodynamics and the properties of plexi, and the other two functions I have frequently seen substituted for by adding a fill-plug and a bit of tubing branching off from the rest of the loop at a T, to go to the plug. Now, looking at the parts I am considering, most of my loop is currently 1/2", narrowing to 3/8" at the pump, and 1/4" at the reservoir. I played around with SketchUp a bit, and if I took the reservoir out, and rearranged the HDD/SSDs, I would be able to fit in a DD12V-D5, which has 1/2" fittings. What I'm wondering, anyone who has more experience with these things than I (read: most everyone here), would this improve my flow, or do radiators and blocks restrict flow to the point that it wouldn't make any difference? And if it would increase my flow, would it improve or hurt cooling? Or have to affect? (If I do use a D5, I would also put in a short T-line to a fill-port somewhere)

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Really you should keep the diamiters of your tubing all the same. There is a big stigma about the bigger bore the tubing the better the cooling, this generally isn't true, it doesn't really make a difference. The tubing may be gigger but the liquid has to go through the same hole .

For a case your size I wouldn't use 1/2" tubing. It is big, cumbersome and has a very poor bend radius forcing you to use flow restricting adapters "T, Y and L connectors" I had enough trouble using 1/2" tubing in my NZXT LEXA mod and can tell you next time I will be using smaller tubing.

Now I think you may be a bit confused about the barb sizes. Most water cooling components come tapped at the standard G1/4" sizing. This allows for any barb with the G1/4" thread to screw into it. I know for a fact that the BlackIce GTX120 rads you are using come tapped at the G1/4" standard so you can easily use 3/8" barbs in the threads. Now the reservoir. I am also pretty sure that res is tapped at G1/4", not supporting 1/4" barbs so you can use 3/8" fittings on that also. I would stay with that pump (it is a very good pump) and addopt the 3/8" fittings on your rads and res. Over all the loop will be tidier and have better flow due to the lack of right angle bends you will need to make with the 1/2" tubing.

Boosting flow rate isn't always a good idea. If the fluid is running too fast it wont be able to effectively draw the heat from the water blocks and disperse it through the radiator. If the fluid is moving to slowely you will have very bad temps.

As for the use of a reservoir. The primary use of a reservoir is to collect and store extra fluid in a loop and to make it easier to fill, drain and top up a loop. The more fluid you have the slower your temps will (theoretically) rise. However this all depends on the orientation of your loop, if the fluid is comming from a radiator to te reservoir the fluid will stay coolerlonger than if the fluid is comming from a water block.

Personally I use a "T" line and a Dabger Den fillport the fill my system, my bay res has a fill cap but I find the "T" line easier. If you are using the Swiftech V2 res than you don't need to worry about the "T" line, you should be able to attack the fill port directly to the fillport on the res by simply replacing the cap with a barb.

So basically, keep the pump you have, addopt 3/8" barbs all around and if you want attach a fill port the the fill port on the res.

I hope that info helps.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

nice gear mate looks good so far
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

Hmm, ok, I was wondering if that was the case for the blocks. Is the G1/4" standard referring to the ID bore of the fitting? With everything having the same bore, it seems rather odd to me, then, that 1/2" tubing would actually be used much, unless that's just because of people (like me) thinking that it would give better flow. Maybe with a big loop it could kind of act like a small distributed reservoir? Ah well, thanks. That cleared a lot up for me.

edit:
    Another thing I just remembered. What kind of affect do different type (not size) fittings have on the loop? I like the look and idea of compression fittings, but would they have an adverse affect on the flow compared to other fittings?

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

The G1/4" standard refers to the size of the tapped hole the fitting screws into.

I don't see fittings playing a massive hole in performance, it's just personal taste. The main fittings you see are the high flow fittings, perfect seal fittings and compression fittings. High flow fittings are the fittings you see most commenly. they slip on the hose easily and require a clamp/zip tie to hold in place. Perfect Seal fittings are harder to get onto the tubing but generally don't require a clamp to secure in place. Compression fittings are basically like your garden hose. You slide the collet onto the hose, plug the hose into the fitting and then screw the collet in place, no clamp required. Danger Den (and a few others) also make a FatBoy fitting, these fittings are a hybrid between a high flow fitting and a perfect seal fitting, you get the best of both worlds. As far as I know different fittings really don't make much difference.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Ah, ok, that makes more sense (about G1/4"). Thanks for the explanations
    If the fittings don't affect the performance significantly, I think I'm gonna go with the compression fittings. I really like the smooth, unified look, and I over-engineer stuff so much I would never trust Perfect Seal fittings without a clamp.

Interesting start man! I love how you mounted that DVD drive, the radiators also seem to fit well where you have them. Good luck with this.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Not really an update, just a peak at things to come....

I've got a bunch of these sitting around.... One of them will be sacrificed.

More to come once I get time to work on the top.

I have several of these internal drive bay enclosures myself.
    I gutted one of them for the frame and bolted a cd player motor to one side in the front.
    I created a barrel or squirrel fan out of 1½" acyclic pipe. I simply cut several slots into the pipe at a 45° angle, glued styrene strips into the slots, then attached it to the motor with pieces of a toilet paper holder.
    Worked great as a intake fan for an unoccupied drive bay.

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

lol /\ pics?

you have them laying around... send me one
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!