Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nes Pc

Default Nes Pc

Here are pictures of my NES PC. I am going to explain a few things as I go along. I first saw a NES PC on the screensavers. The PC works great, I play UT2004 all the time. The only thing I don't have working right now is the controller ports to play my ROMs.

First, here are the specs:

1.8Ghz P4
    512mb Ram
    60Gb HD
    ATI 9200 128mb graphics card
    Zelda Cart. DVD drive

It happens to be a gaming NES PC. One of very few.
    Okay, from the front you can see that when open it still looks convincingly like a normal NES. The only difference is that the cartridge isn't perfect and the case badge.

Okay, here is the back. You can see some of my ugly cuts from when I was debating using another graphics card. You can also see something very sneaky on the right if you happen to be looking.

Here is the sneaky thing I did. I cut out part of the side of the NES so that my PSU would fit more easily. I did not want to use a cheater (DC-DC) PSU, so I cheated in the case a bit. You can see the side is cracking a bit, I will fix it when I rebuild...

Alright, here is a really fuzzy (sorry) pic of the PC opened. You can see the that underneath the DVD drive is my Radeon 9200, beneath that is the Mobo. The HD is in the front and the processor is in the back. The processor is uncovered (unlike everything else) and the rear fan pushes out the hot air while new air gets sucked in through the top of the case. After about 3hrs of Unreal Tournament though it overheats and my computer shuts down automatically. It's okay I'm fixing the problem.

Lastly, is the whole setup. I have my monitor, keyboard, and gyro mouse. On the right you can see my six speaker headphones (which work surprisingly well).

Here are some pics from when I was at the beginning stages of the project. As you can see, I still had a monster cooler on my mobo.

Here is that pic with the case open,

That's it. Tell me what you think.

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: Nes Pc

That's lookin' really awesome! It's not the first NES computer I've seen, but it's own of the better ones. My favorite part of this mod is the cd drive you stealthed to be a cartridge! And a metallic gold cartridge at that! Brilliant! The only thing I might do if I was you is clean the back end up a little bit.

Also, I have to ask you, what is that device attached to the video card in this picture? Could you please tell me where I could buy one (or is it custom)? And whats that ribbon on the top of the card?

ATX Mental Case

That is pretty damn kewl!!! What type of cd-rom drive is that? Is it from a laptop? If so, what did you use to convert it from a laptop to regular pc? Pretty kewl dude ...

Wingman:

It's called a riser. you can buy it online. You can buy for all type slots. As far as buying it at your local pc store... it's tough to find (atleast i couldn't find it).

ATX Mental Case

Thanks, richmandudeus! I've always pondered about a device that does just that, only, I've never seen them or heard of them before!

I've also always wanted to do my own NES computer mod. A buddy of mine has an NES that he doesn't really care for, so I can probably buy that off him for a couple bucks. Maybe you'll see my mod soon!

Anodized

Nice! Is there an Atari one somewhere?

This site has a lot of good projects including an Atari. http://www.mini-itx.com/

To get the laptop drive to work you have to buy a converter. You can get one here: http://www.directron.com/cddvdadapter.html

I'm actually redoing this one. I'm doing away with the video card (unless otherwise convinced) cuz it can no longer keep up with today's games and I'm putting in a wireless card. I'm not cutting any holes in my new case. I'm stealthing a newer disk drive in another Zelda cart. I'm going to use it strictly for retro gaming. All 10,000 NES roms will be on it and I'm gonna get the controller ports to work. I'm using all the holes already in the case (hopefully for the same purpose as before.

Along with NES roms, I will use it for music, ripped movies, old DOS games, and older games like DUNE 2000 and whatnot.

I'm also willing to give any advice, if people need, to do their own NES PC. The possibilities have only grown since I built mine, and I've kept up to date. Check Takealot Specials and Woolworths Specials.
    Last edited by DaveW; 11-21-2020 at 07:56 PM.

ATX Mental Case

that is so awesome! and wow all 10,000 NES roms? that's gonna be a great little retro machine...ah man i totally need to make me one of those!!!
    where are you?

fact: different = abnormal
    observation: everyone is different, therefore everyone is abnormal
    conclusion: there is no normal, express yourself

wow thats hot being a old school gamer with allmost all the old consoles in still working order i love it.

Great Work!

What would be awesome is if you modded a few cartridges as removable harddrives, though you've already used that space for the DVD drive.
    Still an awesome mod. =P