Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Digital and Analog Audio at the Same Time???

Default Re: Digital and Analog Audio at the Same Time???

If you find using the digital cuts the analogue (it may or may not) there is an answer for you: Get a digital splitter and a digital to analogue converter. Run one output from the splitter to your surround and the other to the analogue converter and on to your Altec Lansing speakers.

CB

ps I am looking forward to the demo video and shots from this feature of your new kit:

Karaoke Scoring
    Karaoke Scoring is an advanced feature that automatically rates your singing and gives you a humorous picture that is tied to your scores.

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

HAHA thanks CB, that may actually be an option, I was looking at the splitters the other day. To bad I am broke now, I had to borrow $300 from my brother so I could get the home theater lol.

The Karaoke sounds fun, too bad I don't have a monitor to plug the DVD player into. I plan to get a new monitor (24") anyway and run an S-Video cord from the player to the monitor. That way I can fiddle with bass and treble settings on the player because the options don't show on the machine itself.

Thanks for the help mate.

*EDIT*
    I just took another look at the Realtek HD Audio Manager (should have done it sooner), I physically have to select the primary channel (Digital or Analog) so audio wont play through both at the same time, looks like the splitters are my only option. 7.1 surround sound any one lol.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Quote Originally Posted by The boy 4rm oz View Post
    I just took another look at the Realtek HD Audio Manager (should have done it sooner), I physically have to select the primary channel (Digital or Analog) so audio wont play through both at the same time, looks like the splitters are my only option. 7.1 surround sound any one lol.
    Yw for the help mate

Realtek .... And .... here is why:

I have been in touch with Realtek and they have
    replied "Vista did not define this function for HD Audio System "
    Basically in Windows XP it was part of the audio subsytem definition that it must handle digital and analogue simultaneously. No problem.

In Windows Vista this functionality was purposely dropped from the totally redesigned audio subsystem. It was specified not to be included to H/W manufacturers and is history.

The only explanation I have found anywhere on the net for this is to do with Digital Rights Management and I can't see why that would be relevant.

Splitter is your only option unless you want to compare the impedence of your Altec Lansings and mod/wire them in as the front speakers if they are a match. But you prolly don't wanna be cutting up a $550 sound system the day after you bought it lol

Matthew

EDIT: A Micro$oft discussion where they first say they are working on it and it is hard coded into Vista and hard to sort out (30/4/2008 ) .... but later replies imply they are doing jack all about it.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-0ca4652a589f/

Ah, thanks a lot for the info mate. That really helped out a lot.

Well I have hit a wall. I went to set the jumped on my mobo to allow the S/PDIF output when I found the pins are missing, I have no way to activate the S/PDIF ports without soldering a lead between the ports where the pins should be and I really don't want to try that. Looks like I am getting myself a sound card after all. Auzentech Xplosion 7.1 Cinema here I come lol.

with a sound card and onboard you can have dual output. I believe it'll work like this: you can set programs to use either the onboard or sound card. you probly wont get the same sound from both but eh, its a start.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Roc View Post
    with a sound card and onboard you can have dual output. I believe it'll work like this: you can set programs to use either the onboard or sound card. you probly wont get the same sound from both but eh, its a start.
    That's no start because getting the same sound from both at the same time is the point of the exercise. And adding a soundcard won't let you use both onboard and add in card at the same time.

Only way to do this is have a splitter on the coax and something that can take the 5.1 mix and mix it down to a stereo output for the front speakers.

Or wait until Micro$oft fix this problem that they simultaneously admit exists and say does not.

There may be some professional level cards that will do all this onboard - I haven't looked but its about the only other possibility as it could be manufactured expressly to bypass the vista coding that implemented this downgraded functionality.

Matthew

I am just gonna get my Auzentech sound card and a Coaxial "Y" splitter and a Coaxial-Analog adapter, I'd rather just remove the on board sound completely, there is no point having both a sound card and on board. Thanks for your input though J-Roc.

Quote Originally Posted by The boy 4rm oz View Post
    I am just gonna get my Auzentech sound card and a Coaxial "Y" splitter and a Coaxial-Analog adapter, I'd rather just remove the on board sound completely, there is no point having both a sound card and on board. Thanks for your input though J-Roc.
    The boy,

You have to make sure the coax-analogue adapter can DOWNMIX from 5.1 channels to stereo. If not you will have to send a stereo signal down the coax meaning you lose your surround sound completely.

Matthew

Here is one that does what you need. It's $75 so it might be worth looking into other options still.

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/digital-to...converter.html

EDIT: Actually I am unsure about that one it may not downmix.

The box that comes with these gaming headphones would work as it has audio outputs, you could use the front ones for your Altec Lansings.

http://www.cluboc.net/reviews/sound/...X360/index.htm

shouldnt the front panel connectors on a soundcard still provide audio even if your main rear output is digital?

And adding a soundcard won't let you use both onboard and add in card at the same time.
    Depending on the program being used, it is completly possible to select the input and output device used. I can have my ventrillo client output its audio through my ati-hdmi cable and still have winamp output through the toslink on my razer soundcard. I havent tried with my onboard but its selectable in ventrillo so it must be able to use it.