Thread: How do I wire this stupid switch?

Default How do I wire this stupid switch?

Ok, I recently got a Bulgin anti-vandal switch from performance-pcs. I'm gonna install the thing late today(after some sleep), but I'm not sure about how to wire it.

I couldn't find anything on google about this particular switch(with the led ring in the middle) albeit it is late. Now the back looks something like this:

1 3
    + -
    4 2

The piece of paper with the switch says what I already know, + and - is for LED, BUT, can I hook this directly to the Power Led pins on my mobo without having to use a resistor.

And how the h3!! do I wire the switch part, does it connect to 4 and 3 or 2 and 1, or does it matter?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by gramatton; 12-13-2008 at 03:24 AM. Reason: typo

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Default Re: How do I wire this stupid switch?

You shouldn't need a resistor to hook it up. If you did, you would be seeing resitors on all of the cords for power LEDs. You should be able to connect it to either 1 and 3 or 4 and 2. Or it could be 1 and 4 or 3 and 2.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

I agree on not needing a resistor, voltage should be correct coming out of the motherboard. I wired one of these into a build myself, but I wired the LED ring directly to a wall transformer. Obviously two of the connectors are for the LED and two are for the switch but I honestly don't remember which is which. A little experimentation should tell you, though. If you have an ohm meter the two contacts that have no resistance should be for the LED. Wish I could be more help but I had to experiment with mine as well. It actually has six connectors on it.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Ok, I believe, to connect a computer power/reset switch, you want 3 and 4. I saw this when I looked to buy two for myself.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

very carefully
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sigquotes part of this.

from what i remember, the little vandal switches dont need a resistor as they use 3volt? led's.