Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone know of an Internal USB hub?

Default Re: Does anyone know of an Internal USB hub?

I should be getting this in the next few days, possibly today. I'll do a little photoshoot / review for those of you that are curios about how it turned out!

Well, how did ya like it? I've been wondering.
    -Gutte
    No, I'm not a compleate Idiot!
    Some parts are missing.

Water Cooled

me too
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
    - Unknown

It works great! I wrote a review up in the review forum on it, but I guess no one goes in there. I'll repost it here in a minute. But basically it works exactly as intended. I now have 5 seperate USB 2.0 devices connected to that single motherboard USB header, and it is just like having those same 5 devices plugged into an external USB hub, only this way it is all nice and tidy and powered off the computer PS, no external wires, no stupid converter cables. I think this is one of the best pieces of hardware I've ever purchased. If anyone is thinking of getting one, and if gutenaffe is up for making more, DO IT. you will not regret it if you have the need for one. It's one of those parts that you won't be able to find anywhere else, and there is no substitute

Here's the repost of the review:

Welll, A while back I commissioned a piece of work from one of our own forum members, Gutenaffe. I wanted a USB hub, but i wanted it to go inside my case, run off of internal 4 pin molex power, and have motherboard style header pins instead of external usb plugs. A tall order huh? Well, Gutenaffe delivered. I just finished installing what is to my knowledge the only fully internal USB hub in existance.

The hub started out life as a $19.00 USB 2.0 hub from Newegg.com
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...183-101&depa=0

It's roughly 3 inches long, and 1/2 inch wide. I ordered it and had it shipped to Gutenaffe, along with sending him a very reasonable fee for his work (all told the entire project was under $50, though since that was the first one he may need to adjust prices if he will be doing more of them, you'll have to take that up with him.)

He then removed the top cover of the hub, along with the external style USB ports and replaced them with standard 5 pin headers (adding a wire for pin 5) The hub was then modified with a 4 pin Molex relay.

THe wire from the hub is a nice braided aluminum covered piece that plugs into one end of the hub and plugs directly into a free header slot on the other end.

GUtenaffe also included 5 five pin USB blocks for converting 10 pin blocks to fit on the hub.

I will post pictures in a bit.

Installation and operation couldn't be simpler. The pinout was clearly visable on the board itself. It mounts anywhere in the chassy using a piece of supplied heat resistant adhesive tape. A screw in frame would also have been quite easy to construct had I so desired. No drivers were required, it detected just like a standard USB hub, and i am confident that you could easily chain more than one together inside the case if you needed that many headers.

Overall, this device is wonderful. it's exactly what I asked for, it was well constructed, delivered very fast, and is one of those things that will be useful as long as there are USB ports on computers. I'm sure a firewire hub could also be modified the same way.

No more nonfunctional USB ports on my case, 10 out of 10!

Water Cooled

I wrote a review up in the review forum on it, but I guess no one goes in there.
    thats just a stupid comment. why wouldnt we go there? good job on the review but id like to see some pics

Pictures are on the way. It will be a little while though. my case is messy

double check that newegg link or put in the item #, and get those pictures up.

Link is fixed now. Sorry about that, pictures probably this evening.

I'm sorry, I missed your review, I have to admit I hardly look there. Mostly just skim though the project worklogs and the other forums every other day if I have time.
    -Gutte
    No, I'm not a compleate Idiot!
    Some parts are missing.