Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big Brother and Little Brother :D

Default Re: Big Brother and Little Brother :D

Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    Heat your attic to 98.6F and have it stay there constantly lol.
    LOOL

or ..

Lead line the roof before lead prices rise

Not bad over a VPN. While I was synchronising the 14,000 emails in my mail account by IMAP.

I'm a bit more than 50 miles from Eindhoven

To decrease thermal imaging capability through your ceiling, you could line it with thermal blankets. Thermal imaging has a tough time penetrating metal also, so a tin roof with thermal lining + attic insulation = reasonable protection against sky-spy, AND will help with your energy bills.

Win-win I think.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

But metal roofs are loud when it rains. I think they're expensive, too.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

just throw up the reflective blankets under your insulation then, you should be good

You're mis-representing this.

This stuff is currently held by the companies in question; currently the police have to make special requests to get access to the information. What the laws coming into force are attempting to change is to make it law for this information to be recorded, and the government want it to be recorded to a databse that they have authority over. A court order would still be required to access it.

The rules concerning PAYG mobiles are a little unorthodox, but considering that PAYG mobiles are increasingly being used to trigger bombs, you can see some of the reasoning behind it.

To clarify; I'm not supporting these changes to the law. I don't think it's a good idea, in fact I think it's appaling that the government are being allowed to gather more data, considering their horrific security reputation in the UK. Data is being lost, abused, and kept far longer than needed. The UK data protection act may as well say "but the gov can do whatever they want" because they sure as hell never seem to actually get punished for any of this. These new laws are frankly a farce, and I'll oppose them every chance I get, but I'll be exact about what they are and why we should oppose or support them.

Something else you should think about: the fact that a large part of the UK DNA database is likely to be ereased soon. If you've been swabbed, your DNA will no longer be held on file if you are not charged with a crime. Holding DNA on file does not mean you have a criminal record, and incorrect DNA matches are so unlikely that it's virtually impossible for a false accusation to be formed. It's in cases like this that a DNA database really comes through. Of course, that's just an example; the BBC reported in 2005 that there had been 7990 criminals taken off the streets solely because these samples were NOT destroyed.

I value freedom as much as the next man, but I'd rather catch a rapist or murderer before they get the chance to hurt someone else. People who oppose the DNA database have the wrong idea about this, that's for sure.

Ah, I'm generally sick of the government's attitude towards computer technology. If they actually had some decent advisors and listened to them, then things like the London Ambulance Disaster would not occur. Be warned, that's a long read. You might be better looking at the wikipedia article instead.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

I'm not sure how i feel about DNA databases. A DNA database is just a way to identify people, storing chat logs is like peering in to my life. DNA can be used to identify someone AFTER they become a suspect or commit a crime. Logging our Data is a way for them to sift through our daily lives and LOOk for things we MIGHT have done wrong. Thats the difference I see, but i never really looked in to the issue all that hard.
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    You're mis-representing this.
    -Dave
    No I'm not. You do not seem to understand the human rights implications.

They want to monitor your car from space under the guise of road pricing. They track your mobile phone and triangulate it. They want all your emails and phone calls and web-browsing in a database.

This all adds up: It can all be used for mapping the topology of social groups and following their actions: Useful in fighting terrorism. Except terrorism is George Orwell's unwinable war and the invention of it is being used to eat away at civil liberties your forebears fought and died for.

What you are forgetting is that the people in government change constantly. Hitler was democratically elected after all. So was George Bush - TWICE !

Maybe the guy at the steering wheel today wants to use this topological social-mapping capability to track terrorists.

Maybe the guy at the steering wheel tomorrow will want to use it to track and control anyone with computing abilities or those who like tea parties.

Government controls and balances have been fought for over a long time. Handing back power to governemt in this way is a recipe for disaster.

Freedoms long sought and fought over have been destroyed almost worldwide in less than a decade. Look at the pussies in the press towing the government line. Have you watched the BBC lately? It's nearly as bad as Fox news now.

With these new technologies we are rapidly heading towards a global police state: i.e Fascism and the free people of the world are letting it happen ...

Because they have believed a bunch of blatant lies about some guy in a cave in Afghanistan wih a PDA planning and implementing the 9/11 attacks and defeating the hundreds of billions the US spends on security? Likely story yeah. the fact the US had several exercises running that day that confused everyone - coincidence? the fact that building seven was without doubt blown up by implanted explosives and this seems very likely to have precipitated the colapse of Towers 1 & 2.

The fact is that 9/11 is totally debunked and was an inside job created to set up the fear and panic needed to fully domesticate the American polulace (successful). And now there is underway the creation of an artificial global panic and depression that will be used as the excuse for taking away MORE of your rights which you have been carefuly programmed to accept as "essential for your safety".

Next step will be RFID chips under the skin ... and if the topology of your social group indicates that you are a dissident, troublemaker, freethinker, anarchist or any other kind of non-programmed human just wait for your RFID chip to be turned off so you can't buy a carrott to eat or a pen to write and complain.

CB

From the article you link. European judges clearly have a better picture of the issues involved than most:

The court found that the police's actions were in violation of Article 8 - the right to respect for private and family life - of the European Convention on Human Rights.

It also said it was "struck by the blanket and indiscriminate nature of the power of retention in England and Wales".

The judges ruled the retention of the men's DNA "failed to strike a fair balance between the competing public and private interests," and that the UK government "had overstepped any acceptable margin of appreciation in this regard".

The court also ruled "the retention in question constituted a disproportionate interference with the applicants' right to respect for private life and could not be regarded as necessary in a democratic society".

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

I personally love the New Hampshire state motto: "Live Free or Die."

I would rather have my freedom and live without all sorts of crap watching me, even if that means some murderer they're looking for kills me before they find him. Everybody else would still have their freedom even if I were dead. There comes a point where certain things are overkill and need to be toned down, certain people seem to be trying to push it even further past that point. [/thoughts after just waking up]

No I'm not. You do not seem to understand the human rights implications.
    I never said I agreed with it. You're mis-representing the information, what information will be held, how it will be used, and who it will be used by.

Frankly, you're frothing at the mouth.

They want to monitor your car from space under the guise of road pricing. They track your mobile phone and triangulate it. They want all your emails and phone calls and web-browsing in a database.
    Who is this magical `they'? What have you done that makes you so special, that this omnipresent group would use such resources to track you, to observe your every move? Of course, you mean the government, don't you.

What you are forgetting is that the people in government change constantly. Hitler was democratically elected after all. So was George Bush - TWICE !
    Where did I suggest I had forgotten that? Oh look, the mandatory Hitler reference, followed by a George Bush comparison and a revelation in capitals. Now it's in capitals I see exactly what you're talking about. How could I have been so foolish.

Maybe the guy at the steering wheel today wants to use this topological social-mapping capability to track terrorists.
    Please, show me evidence that such a tool exists. As a (good) computer scientist I can tell you that the technology required to automatically create such a mapping does not exist. The closest anyone has come to this is google or TREC, and their best techniques rely on millions of people tagging information themselves.

Government controls and balances have been fought for over a long time. Handing back power to governemt in this way is a recipe for disaster.
    Exactly what kind of disaster? I think you're implying that the so-called spying will increase and increase until our every movement is monitored, till everyone is watching someone. Do you really think such a thing is possible?

Because they have believed a bunch of blatant lies about some guy in a cave in Afghanistan wih a PDA planning and implementing the 9/11 attacks and defeating the hundreds of billions the US spends on security? Likely story yeah. the fact the US had several exercises running that day that confused everyone - coincidence? the fact that building seven was without doubt blown up by implanted explosives and this seems very likely to have precipitated the colapse of Towers 1 & 2.
    Oh, come on now.

The judges ruled the retention of the men's DNA "failed to strike a fair balance between the competing public and private interests," and that the UK government "had overstepped any acceptable margin of appreciation in this regard".
    DNA is useless for anything other than matching samples. Unless you believe that the government will clone you...I wouldn't be surprised if you did, given your stance on the 9/11 attacks. Mainland Europe has Interpol, but of course, European judges know their ****. They're horrified that we would want to keep DNA, when they keep a centralized database of personal information.

Frankly CB, I can't believe your counter-argument. At TBCS, I've seen a great number of intelligent and well thought out debates on a range of subject considering religion, philosophy, politics, human rights, and more. This is the first time I've seen such a discussion descend into wild accusations and paranoia.

This, my friend, is what you sound like.

-Dave
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!