Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pandora's Box

Default Pandora's Box

Well this is an idea for my first project.
    I have never done any real modding on a computer before but I know how to build one and
    love to work with all kinds of art. So after lurking around this website for a little while and
    seeing all of the great mods I decided it was almost time for me to build my own.

The title of this thread is its name and inspiration

As you might be able to tell it would be a small for factor build. Built using black plexiglass
    and translucent orange plexiglass. The orange trim details and letters would be raised and
    back lit. The fans on the side would be UV Orange A.C. Ryan Blackfires. They would have
    black plexi grills covering them and would depict a shadow scene similar to the art found
    on ancient greek pottery.

Most likely a scene with Pandora opening the box in the middle with whirlwinds releasing
    as men run away.

The components I have thought about for it are
    - DFI LP JR P45-T2RS w/ 2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 1066
    - E8600
    - (4) 1TB Hard drives
    - 1000w (or larger) psu
    - and either 1 or 2 Radeon HD 4870 X2's

Probably just one X2 to begin with and add another one later since that motherboard
    supports crossfire. The only thing Im wondering about is the airflow. It would have 3 intake
    fans near the graphics cards blowing across the board with 3 exhaust fans above the cpu.
    A style much like the NZXT Rogue.

Here is a pic with just properly sized boxes representing where the components would go

If anyone has suggestions or comments they would be greatly appreciated.
    Especially any on possible airflow or heat problems.

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: Pandora's Box

I like the design a lot. Looks like it will be promising. I don't know about orange and black though... I think red and black is better. Just because orange and black reminds me of halloween always..

Quote Originally Posted by Vital View Post
    Just because orange and black reminds me of halloween always..
    me too.
    Oh and w/ a name like pandora's box, it better be good.
    Please read the TOS regarding links in signatures. We don't take kindly to that sort of thing. -The Mods

Red and black would be very nice no doubt. My basic idea was to stay close to ancrient greek
    pottery which could go either way.

As you can see in this image the pottery looks orange and black though historians say
    they were red and black.

Heres a possible red and black version

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

I like the orange, I say keep it that way.

The design looks pretty cool. Not too complex, but enough detail to keep it interesting looking.

How many case fans are there? Three or six? (or more?) I can't really tell from your pictures. But if you only have fans on one side of the case, you might want to consider placing some on the opposite side of the case for some more positive airflow.

If its anything like the Nzxt Rogue, it should have good airflow throughout the case, at least thats what I've read about that particular case I believe. (If I ever bought a new case, it would be either the Adamas or the Rogue )
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

There are (6) 120mm fans in the design. I just left one side and the back off in that one pic so the
    component boxes could be seen. There is enough room for a few more 80mm Fans either on the
    lid or in the back though.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

I would say six 120mm case fans is more than plenty. It could almost be considered "over-kill" actually, not that there is anything wrong with that.

I say go for it, should be a simple enough build and probably not too expensive either. Maybe around the $150 price range? Thats just a rough estimate going off of a guess of a maximum of ten pieces of acrylic (1/8th x 24" x 24"). But you probably won't need that many. I think they're about $14 (without shipping) each, online anyways.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Pandora'a box was actually supposed to be a jar, but was translated, and read as box, due to a translation technicality.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Oh I knew someone would bring that up. Yes I know it was supposed to be a jar. Im not quite
    sure I have the skill to fit a pc in a jar though lol. Maybe that will be Pandora's Box 2.0 someday

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

I think you have a decent design for what most people accept as being Pandora's "box".
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.