Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project: Afterburner

Default Project: Afterburner

PROJECT:

Well, Part Crysis is finished, so I am moving onto my next project.

This will be based on an Antec 900 case. Since I got a new shuttle for LAN parties, I decided I can build a rig with wreckless abandon since weight and value are not a concern if it is staying on my desk...

The case itself will be airforce themed, I can't go into much more detail there, but I am sure you will start to see it's fighter-jet inspired designs popping up as I go through the worklog.

Today I just have a few prelimenary shots for ya'll, the markings for wire management, designs for custom displays and power on options, a one of my displays in motion.

First, here are the holes I need to cut for the wire management:

Next, I have the top panel... I am replacing the 240mm fan with a 2x 120mm radiator grill, and setting up one of two radiators up there... I am also putting a "cockpit" (ie a bunch of shiny LCD's and buttons) up there to replace all of the stock case buttons.

Of course, the case is Watercooled, I am having some custom parts made for me by the awesome guys at Danger Den (big throw out to Jeremy, Dennis, and all the boys out there), but I can't show you those yet, as A) It would ruin the suprise, and B) I haven't even designed them yet lol. However, here is what I do have...

I got two of these:

And they will go here:

And here:

Also have an awesome pump! 18 watt DDC, with a Dangerden Acrylic top, a new product. Performance so far is good, about the same as the XSPC one I had, plus it has more customization options. Only concern is that the flowrate is dropped slightly because of the lower bore size.

And the heart of the system: Intel QX9650 Engineering Sample: I won this at the PDXLAN11 Overclocking Competition, and just had to build an uber rig around it.

And what is left to buy?

And finally, a nice little video of a custom script I setup for my Matrix Orbital GX Typhoon:

Default Re: Project: Afterburner

Tell me, which looks better?

A:

OR

B:

PS, here is a little model I am working on... very rough, when I am done I will have the whole thing designed out... I decided to do this becuase last time I went by the seat of my pants and it would seem to me that the seat of my pants and I have different ideas regarding the way my mods should go.

I also have a rough design for the top panel done:

I have a feeling this will be good

I see what you mean and I will have to try and implement it... See, that is the air force logo:

I can understand though, and I wanted to open up airflow down there, so I have to look into my options.

Ch-ch-check it out!

Front panel laser design! (Yes, I even made it myself!)

Side angled shot of the case to give a basic layout idea. Its amazing how well the front panel worked out, I fit an Optical Drive, 2 HDD, and the radiator with about 3/4" to spare up front.

Inside of case, painted it up, cut holes for wire management. PSU is installed, pump is in the relative location it will end up. Holes will be lined once my Performance PC's shipment comes in...

And, the top of the case, I have to rebuild the top panel to support the parts shown... but that shows what I am going to have going on up there.

Well, I ended up using acrylic. Turned out pretty well actually, will end up being perfect once I get it all done.

I will throw up some pictures of my work thus far tonight.

So, as I promised, I have updated pictures! Keep in mind, this is not by any means the finished product, just one more step to the end.

Here is my shipment from Performance PC's, they stuck a cat in the box too, I don't know what to do with it but it sure is cute!

Here is the interior of the case after I got done putting trim on the holes and got my wiring all done up. All the wires will be hidden behind the mobo when I am through.

Here is a shot of the front sans panel.

Here is a closeup shot of that

This is the custom piece that I built to extend the top panel so I can mount the thermochill.

A shot of it all together

And finally my desk with the current shuttle that I am using while I build this:

I'll have to look up marine tex. I was going to use bondo, but I have had bad past experiences with it. Is marine tex a two part mix?

I'll get some more pics up later once I start doing cutting and moulding on the top bezel.

Okay, get ready for a BIG one! Lots of pics and work done!

First, I got the top radiator panel made up.

Obviously, I need to do a lot of bondo and sanding on it, then paint! I also need some longer screws, the ones I bought were the right thread but about 1mm too short! A real shame.

Here is a great money shot showing off teh sexy AC Ryan Blackfire fans.

And finally, I got the side panel (partially) cut... my diamond bit blade ended up rounding off right on the home stretch I will be fixing that soon though. And of course, the top panel in all of its glory, fully mounted and locked to the top of the case!

And one more for yeh!

Suggestions, comments, questions, all are welcome!