Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux for a beginner

Default Re: Linux for a beginner

I run vista and ubuntu dual boot.
    Please read the TOS regarding links in signatures. We don't take kindly to that sort of thing. -The Mods

I have been using Ubuntu on an off over the last two years. I have it as dual boot now, only because my wife doesn't like using Linux. I find myself using Ubuntu most of the time because it boots fast and shuts down just as fast. Took me 5 minutes today to shut down Vista! There are plenty of free alternatives to the software on XP/Vista and you can achieve most tasks.

Datech is right about the help out there, I have been able to solve most problems with the help on the forums. I have found with Ubuntu 8.10 most of the old bugs and issues have disappeared and I found myself at the command line less.

Good luck

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by overmark View Post
    Took me 5 minutes today to shut down Vista!
    Vista starts up and shuts down really fast for me. That's probably because there isn't a ton of crap that loads at startup, though.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Here's a good website to help you out with ubuntu:

http://www.knowliz.com/2008/09/20-th...ng-ubuntu.html
    I would really like my Thermaltake prizes... Thanks everyone for my wonderful prizes!

Well, just like everyone else has said, Ubuntu is pretty much great for beginners. In fact, I'm writing this post from my Asus eee running Ubuntu.

On the other hand if you are looking for something super easy to use to just try linux out its worth checking out PuppyLinux. Its a great little distribution, runs great even on ancient hunks, and it can fit on a 128mb flash drive(tutorial on their site for putting it on one). And you can take that flash drive to another computer and use your install.

Well just my 2cents.

Gramatton out

so wheres everyones rep??? just kidding.
    Please read the TOS regarding links in signatures. We don't take kindly to that sort of thing. -The Mods

Just be very careful if you're dualbooting with multiple physical drives, It messed up my MBR when it tried to run the dual boot client. If you are going to run it on a second HDD UNPLUG YOUR WINDOWS HDD

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

is Ubuntu also good for a server application? I picked up a dual P3 3u server setup and was thinking of running Linux on it, but I'm a complete noob to it, so it'll be a learning experience as well

ubuntu client is good, and will work for a file server, but the server edition is very good for managing a network, but beware theres no GUI with the server edition

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

I suggest using Ubuntu or any of it's related distributions (I use, for example, Kubuntu 4.1.2). It's quick and easy to pick up, but still has a powerful engine. it's great for just starting out or even if you've been around the block a few times.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"