Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux for a beginner

Default Linux for a beginner

I have used Windows XP for a few years now, and I have been reading stuff about Linux. Yet I don't understand... Which distribution of Linux would be the best for a general purpose pc and are there any guides out there for installing/running Linux for the first few times? And ultimately, is Linux worth installing on a computer if I have XP?

Wow, a few questions there...

Any help appreciated, +rep for those who can help

Default Re: Linux for a beginner

I have used ubuntu and I really like it. Its pretty straight forward and easy to understand. Everybody on here will have there opinion on what they prefer. Just research each one and see what you like. Oh and what are your specs?
    Please read the TOS regarding links in signatures. We don't take kindly to that sort of thing. -The Mods

Thanks for that I'll look into that =)
    As for my specs, I'll probably install it on a crappy computer made from spare parts lying around. I'm on my laptop at the moment too, so I can't remember my specs for my good computer anyways.

Like aintnothang suggested.. ubuntu. It's probably the most user friendly for someone switching from windows.

Either Ubuntu or Fedora, but more on the Ubuntu side. It's easy to use. You just have to burn the ISO on to a CD and you are in business. :]
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

I got rid of my floppy disks Xpirate's Avatar

I've been using Ubuntu on a smaller hard drive ever since my XP system got a virus so powerful that it hosed the system up a couple months ago.

Linux is nice, but it still isn't for everyone. I managed to get Google Earth to work on it, but I had to go to the command line and change permissions on the installation file. Several other things still require command line work. So if you're not into using the command line, you probably won't like Linux.

Ubuntu Linux boots up a lot faster than XP did on the same hardware. XP is on a newer hard drive which is probably a little faster than the one I have Linux on.

The Open Office word processor and stuff isn't as easy and nice to use as the MS Office stuff. Gnu Cash is definitely no competition for Quicken. I did not think Gimp was that good until I used it some more, which made me regret buying Photoshop Elements.

So I probably will need to go back to XP to get the software I paid for running again. Linux also won't run all the hard ware devices I have either. But I do intend to keep a machine with Linux. I've enjoyed being able to surf without fear of getting a heavy duty Windows virus.

I did get some kind of malware for Linux the other day that kept running in the background. But, I was able to kill the processes and I never seen them again. Good luck with your Linux experience.

I suggest Ubuntu, not only is it easy to use, it is one of the most popular distro's. I made a video on dual-booting for beginners. Its really simple.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptwa6VB-SKE
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephik
    Quote Originally Posted by DonT-FeaR
    i believe its cake that attracts fat kids... not the other way around
    Yea well you try telling a fat kid that.

For a beginner, you should definitely go with Ubuntu. Before you switch however, I would make a list of all the hardware devices you intend to use with the computer as well as all the software you are used to using with XP.

There are literally tens of thousands of guides, walkthroughs, and HOWTO's on the web that will show you absolutely everything you need to do and want to know about your distribution of Linux. Don't be scared to join a Linux forum and start asking questions. For each arrogant Linux user out there, there are ten more that are willing to guide you through your first Linux experience.

You should do a google search and find two or three guides you like that encompass everything you think you need, read them and print them off for future reference. Also do a few searches about the hardware you have in relation to the Linux distro you are using, and make sure you wont run across any snags in getting them to work properly. Same thing with your software, make sure that the program is compatible with Linux, or find an equivalent that is.

Good luck!
    I would really like my Thermaltake prizes... Thanks everyone for my wonderful prizes!

Please read the TOS regarding links in signatures. We don't take kindly to that sort of thing. -The Mods

Thanks for all your help guys, I'm only gonna put linux on a crappy computer that I'll build during my summer holidays. if I like it, then i may look into dual booting off my XP machine. And yeah, Ubuntu looks like the one I'll choose. Thanks for all your help guys