Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Project: BombShell

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

Default Re: Project: BombShell

good... i re read your log in english today... cant wait
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

well i am not to sure about the bomb aspect of this but i do like the sleeping dog he made me laugh.. nice work . i think bomb on top is much cooler .. hope to see more +rep

Fresh Paint

Alrite, here are some pics of what I got so far, still thinking of ways to get whats in my mind, to paper, and from paper to my case. I'm kind of a perfectionist so I can never make up my mind. blah, anyway, here are a few pics of what I got so far.

the JB weld didn't hold as well as I'd hoped. Now I gotta attach the pieces of the bomb together somehow and start thinking about what materials I'm gonna use to get my idea on the front to work. Maybe i'll draw out a new design to show you guys... Till next time!

very cool... nice work man... love it
    you tease!

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by DonT-FeaR View Post
    very cool... nice work man... love it
    thanks Now i just gotta get going on it, hopefully i'll have a big chunk done by the end of this weekend. Gotta find some solutions to some problems I've been having.

Xcartguy

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

When using Jb weld for things like this you need to do a few things that they don't put on the package.
    1) make sure the two pieces over lap well (if the don't no big deal just put a piece of "scrap" metal behind the joint.
    2) scuff the area to which your applying the JB weld (100-200 grit sand paper does a good job)
    3) clean the area with acetone (or fingernail polish remover), then clean it with denatured alcohol (rubbing alcohol will work too).
    4) make sure it's dry (and don't touch the area with your finger...you'll put the oil you just cleaned off back on)
    5) mix and apply JB weld per directions...
    6) added extra JB weld

Also any place that you can hide a physical connection (rivet, screw, bolt, etc) use it, this will cut down the stresses place on the JB weld joint.
    Take a look at this pic of Little Boy notice that the parts of the bomb are held together with bolts that you can see from the out side. Your bomb doesn't have to be completely smooth, unless you want it to be.

Your other options are Soldering the parts together, or brazing them together. (dissimilar metals don't weld).

You also need to pick up some Fiber glass reinforced cutoff wheels for your dremel, they work so much better then those red "heavy duty" ones, Break less too!

I like the design, and The Bowl nose cone worked out well! (once you start modding everything starts looking like a mod part )

Don't get discouraged if you run into a snag (like the JB weld or your earlier DVD drive conundrum)... Just work through and you do Fine.
    Also Remember you building this for you, no one else has to like it just you, that's al that matters!

Welcome to TBCS, Your off to a great Start !!!

CrazyBillyBob

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

lookin good

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by crazybillybob View Post
    When using Jb weld for things like this you need to do a few things that they don't put on the package.
    1) make sure the two pieces over lap well (if the don't no big deal just put a piece of "scrap" metal behind the joint.
    2) scuff the area to which your applying the JB weld (100-200 grit sand paper does a good job)
    3) clean the area with acetone (or fingernail polish remover), then clean it with denatured alcohol (rubbing alcohol will work too).
    4) make sure it's dry (and don't touch the area with your finger...you'll put the oil you just cleaned off back on)
    5) mix and apply JB weld per directions...
    6) added extra JB weld

Also any place that you can hide a physical connection (rivet, screw, bolt, etc) use it, this will cut down the stresses place on the JB weld joint.
    Take a look at this pic of Little Boy notice that the parts of the bomb are held together with bolts that you can see from the out side. Your bomb doesn't have to be completely smooth, unless you want it to be.

Your other options are Soldering the parts together, or brazing them together. (dissimilar metals don't weld).

You also need to pick up some Fiber glass reinforced cutoff wheels for your dremel, they work so much better then those red "heavy duty" ones, Break less too!

I like the design, and The Bowl nose cone worked out well! (once you start modding everything starts looking like a mod part )

Don't get discouraged if you run into a snag (like the JB weld or your earlier DVD drive conundrum)... Just work through and you do Fine.
    Also Remember you building this for you, no one else has to like it just you, that's al that matters!

Welcome to TBCS, Your off to a great Start !!!

CrazyBillyBob
    Thanks yea I sanded the metals but didnt' clean it w/ acetone or anything, and i probobly touched it alot hehe. The reason for the jb weld was that I was gonna weld lil 1inch by 2 inch tabs on the inside of the bowl, so I could have a place to screw a bolt in to hold together the bowl and the middle part. I got some carriage bolts? i think there called that would look good for the outside. Now the tabs are falling off heh. might have to just rivit them together then bondo over it to smooth it out. who knows, I'm sure i'll come up with a crazy outrageous plan that involves so much time, when it could have easily been solved in 5 minutes hehe. thats how i roll!

Xcartguy

btw, thanks for the pic of the little boy For some reason I was thinking it was gonna be a big statue of a boy holding a donut... but that pic gives me something to shoot for. Might actually put the fin thing how it is in that pic, rather than just 4 fins coming off of it like a missle.
    Last edited by Xcartguy; 12-05-2008 at 12:45 AM. Reason: forgot something.. :)

....O...M..G.... !! This is allready one of my favs ! Keep it up man !

i love the bomb idea.. this is one of the well thought out mods..
    you tease!