Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airbrush Fire attempt

Default Airbrush Fire attempt

So, here's my second attempt at fire. Tell me what ya think.

Medium - Top of an old computer case
    Paint - Auto Air. Flame Red, Flame Orange, Flame Yellow, White. No candies.
    Clear - Rattlecan. (Still Drying)

My workshop, which is in need of some TLC.

I know it looks really stenciled, but I learned a lot on this project. Better trigger and air control being the biggest. Oh, and I didn't have a reference picture. Just straight from my head.

Does all his own stunts mittelmeier's Avatar

Default Re: Airbrush Fire attempt

I like it. That's a lot better than I can do. I like the choice of colors, it really pops. +rep

Custom Title Honors Liquid_Scope_99's Avatar

Hey man that is some sweet aribrushing in my bood looks really cool after it dries and you buff should be nice effect +rep

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

That is awesome. I need to get myself an airbrush. +rep

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

I like the effect, it's different from most hot rod flames yet still obvious as to what it is.
    What psi are you using on your compressor? I've got the same one and can't quite get it right.
    TheMainMan

Thanks for all the replies guys. This actually going to be sanded down and redone. I'm still practicing. I've always heard that the clear really brings out small details you don't see otherwise, so I wanted to try it. MainMan - I'm using 40 psi which is what's recommended for the paint I'm using. I've found that the regulator isn't always correct. The gauge sticks. So turn it up slowly and tap it a few times to make sure it's reading right.

Looks like a hella good second attempt to me. Looks like you got the concept down, now its probably just a matter of refining your technique. Keep up the great work!

Are you still using the Harbor Freight airbrush, or did you upgrade?

Yeah, I think I hit the refinement stage. I'm still on the same cheapo Harbor Freight brush. Would love to get a Dagr, but for my needs, this one fits for now.

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Sgt,
    It looks pretty good, the orange and yellow have that nice diffused look, the white has a few hard edges, but over all good work!

I've got one of the HF cheapy airbrushes (black plastic with the glass jar cup) It's ok for big areas or base coats, but the difference in control between it and my Paasche airbrush is night and day. The Paasche has better control and a much finer mist, makes blending so much easier, use some thinned paint or candy, and you can soften those hard edges in no time. (it also wasn't too expensive like $50, which isn't cheap but it's cheaper than some!) Also HF Started carrying some newer Airbrushes recently Their listed as Deluxe Airbrush kits I've never used them but they've got to be a step in the right direction and @ $15.99 they'll not break the bank.

Now I am no expert with the airbrush (takes forever for me to get stuff done ) but Even with the HF airbrush, your doing good work, and I think you'll have it perfect soon Practice is every thing!

Good work!

CrazyBillyBob

CBB - yeah, I'll sand this down over the weekend and try again. I think this was more of a proof of concept than anything. I would really like some candies, but I'll try and thin some paint down a lot more and see how that covers. The first brush you linked to is a single action brush.. pull back and you get paint and air. The second one (the Deluxe) is the one I have. Nice dual action (push down for air, back for paint). I'm really glad I got this air pressure thing squared away. Now maybe I can start spraying more. It felt really good spraying that paint last night.