Thread: Adding a light switch to LED case fans

Live Long and Modify ContraptionMaker's Avatar

Default Adding a light switch to LED case fans

Lighted case fans are cool but unless you spend the big bucks there is no way to turn off the lights. Adding a switch to your fan is fairly simple if you have basic soldering skills. I did this mod because I wanted to turn off all my other lights when the UV's were on. Let's get started....

In addition to the soldering iron and solder we need an old USB cable and an Exato knife. I used a USB cable because of the size of the wires. They need to be small enough to feed under the motor housing of the fan.

The first step is to remove the sticker covering the wiring. Once you do this locate the negitive connection of the LED's.

Here I have unsoldered the negitve wires. I have also temporarily soldered a bare wire to them so you can see how this will be wired. This is also a good way to test your wiring plan. Simply plug in the fan and touch the end of the wire to one of the original negitive terminals to make sure the lights work. If they do then you are ready to continue wiring.

Here I have fed the black wire under the motor housing and attached the end to the first wire. Be sure to tape all your connections as you do not bare wires touching the circuit board of the fan.

The hardest part is stripping the wires in the middle to make the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th connection.

Again be sure to tape up the connection to prevent shorts.

Then pull the wire through the housing and move on the the 3rd connection.

Here is the completed the wiring. The 3rd and 4th wire connects just like the 2nd wire. The green wire attaches to the original negitive connection. Once the fan is powered up, you turn on the lights by touching the black and green wires together. These are what will connect to your switch.

Here is the fan running, no lights.

Touch the green to the black and "Woopee!" we have lights! Now I will be able to turn the lights on and off without affecting the fan. Also using a speed contol on the fan will not dim the lights.

Finish off the mod with a new sticker to cover the printed ciruit board and new wiring.

Althoug not all fans will have the exact same wiring, it should be pretty simple to figure out which wires to use. If all else fails send me a pic of your fan with the sticker removed and I will try to help you out.
    I Build, Therefor I Am!
    http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ine=1224642592
    Live today because tomorrow may never come!

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default Re: Adding a light switch to LED case fans

Nice! At first I was like, there's got to be an easier way, but the final pics look really good, very nice finished look. I like it. +rep
    ________
    1960 Ford Specifications
    Last edited by blueonblack; 02-24-2011 at 03:25 PM.

Very cool mod. +rep

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

I wish I had thought to do something like this when I had mine apart to change the colour. +rep for the usefulness
    TheMainMan

Sacrificing Unto Sebek KiLLERMAN21's Avatar

Thats great man, itll really help me soon only problme is that I have NO soldering skills whatsoever. +rep

Quote Originally Posted by Twigsoffury View Post
    I tape my wallet to my cat.

Live Long and Modify ContraptionMaker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KiLLERMAN21 View Post
    Thats great man, itll really help me soon only problme is that I have NO soldering skills whatsoever. +rep

Thanks Killerman! Hopefully to help you out I just posted a soldering tut...
    http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...410#post212410

Hope this helps you out!
    I Build, Therefor I Am!
    http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ine=1224642592
    Live today because tomorrow may never come!

ContraptionMaker is a genius!!

This is exactly what I was looking for.. got it hooked up now with all my case fans, which brightened up like a ufo at night, this mod is a must if you have led fans in your pc n no sleep. Thanks mate

ATX Mental Case theshoeshineman's Avatar

Why they don't add a basic tiny switch to these things to begin with is beyond me, surely it won't add that big an amount to their per unit cost! +rep
    Visit my website: http://djcassar.com
    Scratch build: The Cube
    Sure we would all love "real friends", but honestly whats the chances of that happening?

Fresh Paint

Hello.

I'm looking to add switches to my LED case fans but all the pictures in this thread are gone. Does anyone know where I could find them? This seems like a good guide.

Thanks!

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

I'd also like these pics again please!!