Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reaper The Super Computer

Default Reaper The Super Computer

Well as you have seen my other two mods were put on hold because of money problems, so I decided to open up this handy dandy new mod! This can never be put on hold because everything I need is right here in my house!

Its time for my attic of Pentium III computers to come and ! I will be constructing a small army of Pentium III computers to become a cluster computing machine!

I have 4 dell L933r systems that will become peons to the actual head of the system which will be a server motherboard with dual P3 933MHz CPU's. Total cost of project so far $0.

So far I haven't even thought about the case the entire mess will be in but w/e its taken a couple of hours to install the OS's alone... That leads me to something else, it will be a windows XP Pro cluster, with MPICH2 as its MPI.

Day 1

Today, all OS's were installed except for the server motherboard which is still currently being pieced together. My mobile command center, which was my dining room tables is currently filled with computer parts.

The Server Motherboard:

It's like JFK announcing the moon mission. He had no expertise in space travel, and no way of knowing if it would work. He just announced "we're going to the moon" and then they made it happen because everyone was on the same page and working towards the same goal. If he had said "well, let's get some people in space, and we'll see how far out we can get, and if I find someone to make a rocket strong enough, we could possibly approach the moon's orbit and maybe land" it wouldn't have happened.

Default Re: Reaper The Super Computer

I love the slot-type PIIIs on the server board! Good luck, keep us informed of your progress and let us know how you setup your cluster.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

I would like to give some people thanks for the help with the build:

-Philippe Deslauriers
    -Shane Farris
    -NeverMind1534

Philippe gave me the idea by bringing and showing me the NASA cluster computer foundation.

Shane Farris, great with clustering with Linux and windows 2000, helped with a little research and basic questions.

Nevermind1534, spent his afternoon answering usless questions that helped me out but probably seemed stupid to him, and probably getting frustrated with me!
    It's like JFK announcing the moon mission. He had no expertise in space travel, and no way of knowing if it would work. He just announced "we're going to the moon" and then they made it happen because everyone was on the same page and working towards the same goal. If he had said "well, let's get some people in space, and we'll see how far out we can get, and if I find someone to make a rocket strong enough, we could possibly approach the moon's orbit and maybe land" it wouldn't have happened.

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knowledgegranted View Post
    Nevermind1534, spent his afternoon answering usless questions that helped me out but probably seemed stupid to him, and probably getting frustrated with me!
    lol thanks
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Day 2

I set-up two of the machines on a router and got the MPI on both of them, although it is not full configured yet I feel it is ready for a simple test. When I get the full computer going i'm gonna run it on some benchmarking program.

Small Vid

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

This is going to be awesome. I had an old slot load PIII laying around the place but I think I threw it out .
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

UNLIMITED POWER!

Impressive! I have no idea how you'll do it.
    Wait, what?

So is this going to go together Tranquillity-style? Looking forward to it - anything using P3s for a greater purpose is all good in my book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Well actually I guess it will be, never seen that computer until you showed me that link, great pc though!

Anodized

Hmmm Ok. I trolled around and question comes to my mind.
    "What for?" It's somewhat linked to GRZ project I guess. I remember Helmer was used to render some gfx very well.

Good luck anyway. I wonder how much power it will eat up compared to FLOPS it offers.

Code:
    ar -r God