Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I need a sound card?

Does all his own stunts mittelmeier's Avatar

Default Re: Do I need a sound card?

If you don't like how it sounds with the built in ports you can always buy a sound card later.

To branch off a little bit, here's a little anecdote. I myself currently have a Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 and the built-in Realtek 7.1 on my board. I only recently started using "quality" music (I've been ripping all my CDs to FLAC and it's great) but before I did that, 128kbit/s MP3s sounded basically the same. Even higher bit-rate stuff (320kbit/s) sounded for the most part pretty equal, even through my Logitech Z5300e's and Turtle Beach X1 headset. I can however, tell a difference in the FLAC output. It just sounds clearer. For instance, right now I'm listening to Throes of Perdition by Trivium in FLAC through my SoundBlaster and Turtle Beach headset, and it's AMAZING. Much, much clearer. Dragonforce is the same way. You can hear every scale, every note that the guitars, keyboards and bass are playing. It really makes a difference. If you're using low quality MP3s, not so much.

Then there is the whole gaming deal. It has been shown that soundcards, because they take sound processing loads off of the CPU, will increase your framerate. Like the Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty card, some are even optimized for gaming pleasure. Improved EAX support/quality, SPDIF output (not really used by gamers but..), optical out and a slew of other features. One of Creatives boards even has Sound RAM! These gamer cards however, aren't usually what music audiophiles look for, and vice versa. If you aren't too serious either way, your on board card will probably get you the best mixture for no cost. For me though, I'm very excited about the card coming with my Asus Maximus II Formula; it's "on borad" so to speak, but it's a Creative X-Fi made card, so it should sound nice either way.

To make a long story longer, if you have $100 to piss away on something that may or may not give you anything back, buy a nice sound card. If you're dissatisfied with the on board once you try it out, maybe spend $40 and see if you notice a difference. If you do, you made the right choice.
    RIP Bucko

Thanks for the comment.
    If I ever get into music or hardcore gaming, I'll definitely invest in one.

P.S.- I love dragonforce.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephik
    Quote Originally Posted by DonT-FeaR
    i believe its cake that attracts fat kids... not the other way around
    Yea well you try telling a fat kid that.

Hehe, as do I. I bought Ultra Beatdown the day it came out .
    RIP Bucko

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    To branch off a little bit...
    I absolutely agree with this entire post.. I just didnt want to quote the whole thing.

I'm currently using an M-Audio Mobile Pre USB device for my audio output (2 channel only), into a Super T-Amp and a pair of home built Zigmahornet speakers, and the sound quality will make you cry.. in a good way.

Running directly to the amp from the headphone jack on the laptop was terrible! Buzzing and humming at low volume, poor imaging and separation, and almost no dynamic range at all. Most times, even a low cost sound upgrade will be big improvement over an onboard solution, but it really comes down to what sounds good to you, and if it fits into your budget.

Here's something to drool over..

This is the same speakers, amp, and Playstation CD source that I use (but I have my own custom built speaker wires and interconnects).

These are (hopefully) my next audio purchase.. once I get some more money in the bank.. if I can sell my current setup, I'll be halfway there!

THESE HUGE BUGGERS are my current "dream setup" speakers. $20,000 plus for a good used pair.
    Last edited by Luke122; 10-18-2008 at 12:47 AM. Reason: The site I originally linked to was DESTROYED by the power of the TBCS community.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Wow those speakers are huge.

Quote Originally Posted by phen0m View Post
    I just need the basics.
    Nothing special like surround.
    Most reasonably modern MOBO's do surround sound anyway.

I have a several year old MSI K8N SLI - it's a socket 939 Motherboard and does 2.1 4.1 5.1 6.1 or 7.1 surround built in to the Mobo using the line in and microphone jacks etc for the additional channels - it's merely a question of telling the driver what I want it to do with the ports using the configuration tool.

CrazyB

ps The onboard on my mobo is a creative soundblaster 24bit which I admit is better than the average for the day it was built.

I am not going to buy a sound card. I do not have the money and I can live without one.