View Poll Results: How Many Cores in Your Primary PC?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Single Core

8 13.79%
  • Dual Core

31 53.45%
  • Tri-Core

0 0%
  • Quad Core

17 29.31%
  • Waiting for the Next Big Thing

2 3.45%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Many Cores Do You Have?

Official Wallabies Supporter Pointy_Stick's Avatar

Default Re: How Many Cores Do You Have?

Core2Duo E8200. Still need to overclock though, as that was why I bought it over the 8400 (the 8400 was also more expensive )
    http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3152/siguf0.jpg

You seem to be stood on my tail... Helix666's Avatar

Still only a single core Athlon64 3500+ here... it's not doing too bad tho
    I'm hoping to get a dual-core lappy over xmas, but we'll see... until then, I'll still use my old reliable (ish) single core machine.

Pity I can't overclock this one... :/ (TYVM Abit for removing all the nice bits from the BIOS so I can't tinker. D:< )
    Quote Originally Posted by gntlkilr
    warranties are meant to be voided.
    Turns out, they'll let any idiot with a wrench work on hydraulics.

Just pointing this out as a side note, out of the 19 people that have voted so far, not one has a tri-core AMD. Why is this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Helix666 View Post
    Still only a single core Athlon64 3500+ here... it's not doing too bad tho
    I'm hoping to get a dual-core lappy over xmas, but we'll see... until then, I'll still use my old reliable (ish) single core machine.

Pity I can't overclock this one... :/ (TYVM Abit for removing all the nice bits from the BIOS so I can't tinker. D:< )
    What board is it? Maybe there's an aftermarket BIOS for it... or is it a grey-box (name-brand) machine? Might still be a chance - my old HP Asus K7M was the standard board with one RAM slot removed.

It's not an AM2 3500+, is it? My old Orleans kicked ass while I had it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trace View Post
    Just pointing this out as a side note, out of the 19 people that have voted so far, not one has a tri-core AMD. Why is this?
    Two reasons:

1) [Depending on how you view it] The AMD Phenom X3 isn't as good as the Core 2 Duo. It is however cheaper I believe. Not that most computer enthusiasts will care too much about price when it comes to getting the best and most desired processor currently around.

2) [This is probably the main reason] The Intel Core 2 Duo has been around for a much longer time compared to the AMD Phenom X3, therefore most people have already purchased the Core 2 Duo. So why downgrade? As for the handful of people here who still haven't upgraded to a new processor? My guess is that either they are happy with what they have and don't feel the need to fork over the cash to upgrade (like me, for now at least) or they are saving up for the better processor; the Core 2 Duo or the Intel Quad Core. Like I said before, most enthusiasts don't care too much about price when they can just save up a bit more and get the better part.

Although we do have a few loyal AMD followers here. So I'm guessing either they haven't purchased one yet, or they are going straight to the AMD quad core, which is what I would do.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

One of my friends has one of the higher end tri-cores and he says that it is flat out beastly.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    Although we do have a few loyal AMD followers here. So I'm guessing either they haven't purchased one yet, or they are going straight to the AMD quad core, which is what I would do.
    Right. If I were to buy a new processor (for gaming) today, it would be a quad-core, either brand. I'm very much an AMD fan, but I know a good product when I see one, so I'd definitely consider defecting - however, I'm waiting for whatever comes after the Phenom.

For regular-computing purposes, I'd get a dual-core - again, from either brand.

Tri-core's stuck in the middle - it requires a newer motherboard, making it a less suitable upgrade option, but doesn't have the power of quad-core for the applications that most people who would buy one want to run.
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyPlushroom View Post
    Tri-core's stuck in the middle - it requires a newer motherboard, making it a less suitable upgrade option, but doesn't have the power of quad-core for the applications that most people who would buy one want to run.
    I thought I read somewhere that the Phenom X3 works in AM2 socket motherboards? So long as the board supports the 95W TDP rating?

How new of a AM2 motherboard do you need to have I wonder? Like purchased within the last year? or two? or do you just need to make sure your board can support that many watts? If thats the case, I wonder how many AM2 boards support the 95W TDP rating?

It seems like this could go either way with people. Some people will be able to upgrade to a Phenom X3 (if they wanted a cheap upgrade I suppose) while others would have to purchase a new motherboard.

Kind of wish Intel did that with the LGA775, then I would of bought a Core 2 Duo a long time ago! :p
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

AM2, unfortunately, has become a lot like 775, in that new CPUs fit, but aren't completely compatible (due to voltage reasons). My board (see profile) is an older one; fortunately, it's not a perfect analogy, and old AM2 CPUs don't suck compared to Phenoms nearly as much as single-core Prescotts did against the Core architecture. (I'm ignoring Pentium D here, as the i915P board I have doesn't support those either.)

Dual core in my newer computer. Single in both my older ones.